Quick help!

hapahaolegirl

Question

I'm making this stocking:

http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/bgstocking.html

Row 3: (Sc, dc) in the first sc, (sc in the next dc, dc in the next sc) across; ch 1, turn. (32 sts)

Row 4: Sc in the first dc, (dc in the next sc, sc in the next dc) across to within the last sc, (dc, sc) in the last sc. (33 sts)

Rows 5-16: (Repeat rows 3-4) 6 times. You should have 45 stitches at the end of row 16.

Do I ch 1, turn after Row 4? It doesn't say but I'm assuming so? But I'm not sure so I hoped someone could tell me for sure.

Thanks!

Kristen

4 answers to this question

If you don't ch 1, turn, your first stitch in the succeeding row will be squished - you need the ch 1 to get that loop up to the proper height for your stitches. Unless you're working rounds in a spiral, I can't imagine any circumstances where you wouldn't ch 1, turn.

Yes. It was an oversight on the part of the pattern writer - a common one. This was one of the major problems with the Seraphina Shawl pattern. It's easy to forget those when you are so used to making them and many who are a bit more advanced will just know to do that. As your case illustrates, not so with a beginner!

Pattern writing isn't such an easy thing to do sometimes! Especially if you're detail-challenged, lol!

Thank you! I noticed there are a bunch of other rows starting at 21 where ch1 turn isn't there so I'm assuming I need to add that in.

You are correct. :)

Thank you again!

Kristen

Any time!

Archived