Hat measurements?

hapahaolegirl

Question

Hi,

I'm making this http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-bear-beanie.html basic hat pattern to make for my daughter. After make the 8th round. The hat seems like it will be too small.

Is there some type of formula to figure out how many inches the rounds should be before working on the length of the hat? I'd rather not keep trying to guess how many rounds to do. I'm assuming there is a better way then to keep making it then frogging it until it fits.

Thanks!

Kristen

3 answers to this question

Here's a little calculator I use a lot.

Hi,

I'm making this http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-bear-beanie.html basic hat pattern to make for my daughter. After make the 8th round. The hat seems like it will be too small.

Is there some type of formula to figure out how many inches the rounds should be before working on the length of the hat? I'd rather not keep trying to guess how many rounds to do. I'm assuming there is a better way then to keep making it then frogging it until it fits.

Thanks!

Kristen

You can also check out this post for head size measurements. It tells you how big around your circle should be if you are working bottom up (remember that knitted or crocheted hats are intended to stretch, so 1" smaller would be fine too). If you are working top down it is much harder, since you will have to work more before measuring. I think I once saw a site that said how big the round should be before working the sides (without increases) but don't remember where. I will update if I find it.

Follow the pattern of increases by adding a round or two that look like this:

Rnd 9: *hdc in next 7 hdc, 2hdc in next hdc, repeat from *

etc.

Then adjust:

Rnds 10 through 15- hdc in each hdc around, at end of last rnd join with a sl st. Cut yarn tail about 3" long and weave back through the inside of hat.

Archived