Bluey crochet bag

Nicole Masters

Question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCUne0pwBQo&t=38s

I am  attempting to make this Bluey bag. The pattern was translatted from Russian

I am having trouble with the white eyes. The pattern doesn't make any sense to me. I am hoping that someone can help me. You can view the pattern at the link above. The eyes start at 56.18 on the time counter in the bottom left.

This is how the pattenr is written:

Row 1: 6ch, with the thrid loop 1inc dc, 2dc, 5dc in one loop, 2dc, 3dc in one loop, slst =14

Row 2: 2ch, 2inc dc, 2dc, 5inc dc, 2dc, 3inc dc, slst=24

Row 3: 2ch, (1dc, 1 nc dc) x2, 2dc (1 dc, 1 inc dc), x 5, 2dc, (1dc 1 inc dc) x 3, slst=34

I'm having trouble with the 2&3 rows

Thank you in advance.

Nicole

1 answer to this question

Have you worked in an oval before?  I may not be guessing correctly, but I believe that is what is going on.  (You might be able to tell by looking at this spot in the pattern photo, so see if an oval makes sense, but it's not uncommon for tote bags to start with oval bottoms).

You start with 6 chains, work down the chain as usual, then 5 dc in 1 loops is turning the corner of the oval, and the stitches after that are worked into the loops on the underside of the chain, back toward the point you started from.  A clue that this is an oval is that you are roughly doubling the stitch count, from 6 chains to 14 stitches.

I suspect, since the designer is using the word loop not chain, he or she may not be a native English speaker--not a problem but sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to figure out what was meant.

I think in row 3 where it says 1 nc, nc is a typo for 'inc'.

Edited by Granny Square
to fix typo in second paragraph, after the first comma is 'then' not 'the'