oddly worded crochet pattern

knittygrittyqueer

Question

Hello! 

I am on the newer end of crochet and I am stumped with the wording of this crochet pattern. Row two reads "inc * 2, 6 sc, inc * 4, 6 sc, inc (26)." The numbers separated by a comma is what is throwing me off. I have tried 8 consecutive sc and then 10 consecutive sc and my count keeps coming up wrong at the end. I have not seen any other pattern written with the numbers like this online. Any ideas?

2 answers to this question

Oh yes another one of those patterns not written in the conventionally accepted standard for writing patterns. Yippee!

"inc * 2, 6 sc, inc * 4, 6 sc, inc (26)

(26) is your stitch count so we need 26 stitches total at end of row

inc means make 2 stitches in one stitch of previous row

inc * 2, because of the comma and in order to meet our stitch count I am assuming the * actually means times or usually written as x so inc 2 times----make 2 sc in first stitch of previous row,  make 2 sc in next stitch  so we made 4 stitches

6 sc means make 6 sc probably 1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, might mean make 6 sc all in one stitch of previous row.  You decide on whichever way they fit into number of stitches in previous row but we made 6 stitches

inc * 4, like we did above so increase 4 times, make 2 sc in next stitch, make 2 sc in next stitch, make 2 sc in next stitch, make 2 sc in next stitch, so we made 8 stitches

6 sc means make 6 sc probably 1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, might mean make 6 sc all in one stitch of previous row.  You decide on whichever way they fit into number of stitches in previous row but we made 6 stitches

inc so make 2 stitches into one stitch of previous row so we made 2 stitches

4+6+8+6+2=26 stitches made 

• Like 1