Crochet Pattern help

Tanner

Question

So I'm trying to start a chevron blanket, and I've been stuck on the first row forever. I think I am misunderstanding the pattern. I crocheted 206 chains like it said to, and then on row one it says "Sc in second ch from hook, sk 1 ch, *sc in each of the next 11 chi, 3 sc in next ch, sc in each of next 11 chi, sk 2; rep from * across, ending sk 1, sc in last st, ch 1, turn (8 chevrons)", I think what's confusing me is the end part, when it says "ending sk 1, sc in last st" does that mean I skip 1 instead of two on that repeat, or that at the end I'll skip 3 total and put in one stitch at the end? Some help would be much appreciated, I've tried to start this dang blanket like 4 times and I keep getting stuck 

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Tanner said:

So I'm trying to start a chevron blanket, and I've been stuck on the first row forever. I think I am misunderstanding the pattern. I crocheted 206 chains like it said to, and then on row one it says "Sc in second ch from hook, sk 1 ch, *sc in each of the next 11 chi, 3 sc in next ch, sc in each of next 11 chi, sk 2; rep from * across, ending sk 1, sc in last st, ch 1, turn (8 chevrons)", I think what's confusing me is the end part, when it says "ending sk 1, sc in last st" does that mean I skip 1 instead of two on that repeat, or that at the end I'll skip 3 total and put in one stitch at the end? Some help would be much appreciated, I've tried to start this dang blanket like 4 times and I keep getting stuck 

The blanket is called "gradience ripple afghan" from Herrshners if that helps at all

Oh, chevrons, I wish I had a nickel for each chevron question - not poking fun, they seem easy but they require paying attention to where you are, and counting.  

Chevrons have 2 hillsides, a hill top, and a valley. Each hill side has the same # of stitches as the other.  The hilltop adds x stitches, and the valley subtracts x stitches, so the stitch count remains the same each row.  It is important to pay attention and to count your stitches, it is super easy to go astray (trust me, I know better, and the minute my mind wanders on a  ripple...rip rip :frog )

The anatomy of yours seems to be starting in the middle of a valley, because you are skipping 1 chain, which is a decrease, and you only decrease in the valley.  Your uphill is 11 sts, your hilltop is an increase of 2 (3 sc in the next stitch, where if working even you'd put 1 stitch), your down hill is 11, and your valley is a decrease of 2.  IMO thinking of the construction this way helps a little to keep one on track - decrease 2, up 11, increase 2, down 11, repeat...

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Oh, chevrons, I wish I had a nickel for each chevron question - not poking fun, they seem easy but they require paying attention to where you are, and counting.  

Chevrons have 2 hillsides, a hill top, and a valley. Each hill side has the same # of stitches as the other.  The hilltop adds x stitches, and the valley subtracts x stitches, so the stitch count remains the same each row.  It is important to pay attention and to count your stitches, it is super easy to go astray (trust me, I know better, and the minute my mind wanders on a  ripple...rip rip :frog )

The anatomy of yours seems to be starting in the middle of a valley, because you are skipping 1 chain, which is a decrease, and you only decrease in the valley.  Your uphill is 11 sts, your hilltop is an increase of 2 (3 sc in the next stitch, where if working even you'd put 1 stitch), your down hill is 11, and your valley is a decrease of 2.  IMO thinking of the construction this way helps a little to keep one on track - decrease 2, up 11, increase 2, down 11, repeat...

So I wouldn't skip 3 at the end, I've just made a mistake somewhere?

I'm sorry, I overlooked that part of your question.  - what I said above still holds true, but some chevron patterns begin and end in a slightly different way than the 'inside' to make an 'edging'. I would follow the direction as written for the end of the row.