Beginners Help with pattern instructions

AsiaticBeauty

Question

Hello

I am a completely new self taught crochet-er. Attempting my first blanket but confused about instructions. For the foundation row or chain, it says (WS), ch 60, then dc into 4th ch from hook and dc in ea ch until end of row. THEN row 1 says (RS) ch 2, turn…

I just want to know, do I chain 60 then turn it wrong side and do my dc or is it just telling me that once this row is done, it will be looked at as the wrong side which is confusing because I always thought WS meant the side with the bumps and to work that side? Basically, I can’t decipher if instructions is telling me which rows are my RS and WS or actually telling me one or the other side needs to be worked. Would be easier if it just said this vs the abbreviation lol. Thank you!

This is for a zigzag weave blanket.

Edited by AsiaticBeauty

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I have seen patterns identify which side is the right side (public facing) after the first row, something like "chain x, turn.  Row 1 (right side), blah blah".  It doesn't mean to DO anything, it's just to keep track of the right side and wrong for some reason.

I think saying 'ws' (wrong side) before the chain is odd, but I would interpret this to mean the first row made after the chain is the wrong side.  I always put a stitch marker on side it mentions, when a pattern identifies a right and wrong side.  A safety pin works well for this,  it's a type of marker that is easy to keep on 1 side.

• Thanks 1