i’m stuck on this square

meloncholycrochet

Question

2 answers to this question

Hello again! 

In another post you were looking for 'names' of elements of non-traditional granny squares --as I said that not really a thing, there are uncountable way of combining dozens of non-traditional elements into a granny square, and each tiny element may have a common name (a popcorn stitch for example), but the assembly of the dozens of elements has no common name.  The center, I assume you mean the center 2 pink rounds, has elements that I can identify and describe/guess at. 

The first round is possibly  *3dc, ch1, repeat 3 times more (which would be similar to a traditional granny square format).  I'm not certain about the chains, it looks round but a little square-ish, but the chains are handy for using in the second round.  I'm going to call the 3dc a granny block (it's descriptive but not "the" name, I've seen it called a few different things).

The second round is 4 shell stitches.  Count the number of DCs in the shell stitch yourself - I think there are 6, but double check me.  A shell stitch (typically) is some # of DC into 1 stitch, skip y stitches, make a short stitch, skip y stitches, repeat.  I would put 6 DC into the center of the next granny block, and SC in the next corner (chain 1 space), repeat 3 more times.  Finish off the pink if at this point if you are following the color scheme of the original.

Back in the 'really olden days', beginner crocheters often didn't follow a pattern per se but copied an actual 'thing' - a crafters would make up patterns, or recreate one they saw somewhere, by LOOKING at it and figuring out how it was made, and make a sample of the lace edging or whatever and paste the sample lace  in a book to refer to later, or pass down to her daughters to use.  I have also seen really old, nearly 200 year old pre-photography published pattern books where the patterns were intricate drawings of the stitch pattern.

Came back to add -looking at a photo and being able to figure out 'what is going on' is also helpful when you have a pattern but aren't quite sure what the pattern is saying - I learned this in my early crochet days, before the internet, when I didn't have anyone to ask.  Looking at the pattern photo at the spot I was questioning, and trying to match the words to the photo almost always answered the question.