Need help with body section of Amigurumi.

goblinfletcher

Question

So I've recently begun my first official amigurumi project, and I've been following a pattern from Ribblr. I'm currently done with the head (amigurumi style), however, when I reached the body section, it got pretty confusing. Before I moved on onto the body, the pattern asked me to make two pairs of legs (Sc 4 in MR (4), Inc x 4 (8), and Sc (8)) For the second leg, it asked me not to fasten off, and to continue it, and chain 12 times. After that, it asked me to join the chain to the first leg and (I am now going to proceed to show the directions, but bear with me): 

sc 7, inc, into chain: sc 7, inc, sc 4, into second leg: sc 3, inc, sc 4, into other side of the chain: sc 3, inc, sc 7, inc (45)

I was pretty much confused about all of it, and to top it off, it asked me to continue with (Sc 8, inc) x5, and so on (Sc number increases) until I have to stuff the body. I'm not sure if what I was supposed to crochet was something similar to an amigurumi? Because it just never became a circle, it was just a straight chain that went on and on. I was wondering if directions could be clarified, and it is more desirable that perhaps directions are shown.  

1 answer to this question

Is there a link to a photo of the finished item on the net somewhere, looking at what an item is supposed to look like can help us picture what is going on. 

So you have made 2 legs 'toe up', and 12 chains which are joined to the first leg in a big loop.  A long  chain with one little leg on each end.

"sc 7, inc, into chain: sc 7, inc, sc 4, into second leg: sc 3, inc, sc 4, into other side of the chain: sc 3, inc, sc 7, inc (45)"

See the underlined?  Ignoring the legs, what it is telling you to do is make an oval - sc down the chain in a 'normal' way with the increases as it says, then sc around the second leg, and then the 'weird' part - the part I underlined above.  A chain has 3 loops.  There are 3 ways to stitch into a chain - in the back bump (I do not advise using this method in this case because it pulls the chain tight), with the chain facing you, under the topmost loop; with the chain facing you,  under the topmost loop and the back bump.  This 'uses' only 1 or 2 loops of the chain working the first ('normal") pass down the chain, leaving 1 or 2 loops free normally.  BUT, you are going to keep your work same side facing you and turn it 90 °, so the unused loop(s) face up, and work back down the chain toward the end you started at.

If my description is confusing, there are a lot of videos about crocheting in an oval, which is what you are doing, which may help you visualize this (except there won't be little legs on each side of the oval!

I think your critter might be posed in a sitting position, and these 2 legs are the back legs?  I am guessing the center 12 chains are it's 'bottom', and you will go around the oval a bunch of times creating a sort of 'bag' which will be the body.