How To Do This Row & Color Change

Clarabee

Question

4 answers to this question

I think you are making a figure 8, if you look at the legs in cross-section, except the 2 sides of the 8 are separated by 2 chains at the crotch like "O==O" , where each O is a leg and the "==" is the ch2 which forms the crotch.

A chain, if you analyze it, is made of 3 loops:  with the chain-looking side facing you, there is a loop top and bottom like = , and on the reverse side is the back loop.  You have 2 disconnected legs; the next step is SC around half of 1 leg, ch2 for the crotch, sc around the other leg - this connects the 2 legs.  Next row will start the body: sc around 1 leg, then choose 1 loop of each chain to sc across (be consistent so it looks the same), work around the other leg, then use the remaining (unused) loops of the 2 chain to stitch  into - this round is the first round of the body, so going forward you are working around a circle (well, oval) of stitches.

I forgot to address the color change, but it sounds like the color change was made at a previous point and you are just supposed to make sure they are facing the same way.  Wildly guessing, color changes usually make a sort of 'height jog' so you would probably want them in the back?  or where it won't be as obvious?

As far as best way to change color: typically you would form a stitch in the old color up to the last yo and pull thru, and then yo and pull thru in the new color.  However when working SC in a spiral, there is less of a jog if your last stitch of the old color is a slip stitch - see this video.  By the way, this doll's legs were made in a similar way as your pattern.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I think you are making a figure 8, if you look at the legs in cross-section, except the 2 sides of the 8 are separated by 2 chains at the crotch like "O==O" , where each O is a leg and the "==" is the ch2 which forms the crotch.

A chain, if you analyze it, is made of 3 loops:  with the chain-looking side facing you, there is a loop top and bottom like = , and on the reverse side is the back loop.  You have 2 disconnected legs; the next step is SC around half of 1 leg, ch2 for the crotch, sc around the other leg - this connects the 2 legs.  Next row will start the body: sc around 1 leg, then choose 1 loop of each chain to sc across (be consistent so it looks the same), work around the other leg, then use the remaining (unused) loops of the 2 chain to stitch  into - this round is the first round of the body, so going forward you are working around a circle (well, oval) of stitches.

Okay, thank you! What do you mean choose 1 loop of each chain to sc across? I feel like when I make connecting the two legs together I am adding extra stitches or leaving some out, I'm trying to get a better understanding of what this pattern is asking to execute it right, thank you for answering all my questions!

Here is an article that shows the 3 loops of a chain stitch.  The top photo, with the 'chain'-looking part facing you, has 2 loops, \ and /.  The back bump is, in the same orientation of the first 2 loops, | .  Or, not sure if this helps or is clearer or more confusing, \ | / , where the | (back loop) is not visible (because it's behind the \/ if the \/ side is facing you, and you can't see the \/ if the | side is facing you.

So what I said was use 1 of the 3 loops, let's say the bold one \ | / on the first pass across the crotch chains, then use the other 2 that you skipped on the first pass \ | / , for the other side - remember you are transitioning between 2 separate legs, to 1 'sort of' oval, and the chains will be a very short closed seam, that you will now be making fabric around to  form the bottom of the toy's body.

That sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, but I hope it makes sense.