barnet basket

charlene rogers

Question

I am working on this and not sure how to move forward after row 6.  do I repeat row 6 until 18 rows completed.

6th round  ch 1 *2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in each of next 4 sc. Rep from * around. Join. 48 sc.
Cont as established, work 8 incs on every rnd,
evenly spaced, until there are 144 sc. (18 rnds
are complete

thank you for your help

Charlene

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the ville!   Copying the lines so I don't have to scroll:

"6th round  ch 1 *2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in each of next 4 sc. Rep from * around. Join. 48 sc.
Cont as established, work 8 incs on every rnd, evenly spaced, until there are 144 sc. (18 rnds )"

So to diagram rnd 6, V is an increase (2 SC into 1 stitch) and x is 1 SC into 1 stitch (I'm excluding the initial turning chain1)

VxxxxVxxxxVxxxxVxxxxVxxxxVxxxxVxxxxVxxxx

There are 8 iterations of the repeat, each repeat is 6 stitches (2 in the increase, plus 4 'single' stitches (1 st into 1 st).  4 x 8 is 48 stitches - the '48 sc' at then end of your instruction is not telling you to do something, it's just a tally of how many sts you should end up with in that round.

The rest of that, 'continue as established' means follow the same pattern, except in this case it also says 'evenly spaced' - I am fairly sure that means 'don't stack the increases on top of each other, stagger them around'.  (edit, not sure why spellcheck didn't catch my typo, just caught it, oops).

The math works out, if you keep increasing by 8 each round you will have 144 sts at round 18. 

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1