How to read pattern?

Joeys

Question

Hi  I'm joey 

I'm very new to crochet.  I just bought very first starter kit that came with instructions but did not teach me how to read pattern. 

I'm so stuck from round 3 onwards.  

Would appreciate if can help me with what it means from round 3 onwards.

And also how to pick up front loops with needle to close.  

Thank you very much! 

16281550818913537906621762566640.jpg

4 answers to this question

You have a circle of 12 stitches at the end of round 2.

You are going to increase.  (Each round adds 6 sc stitches)

ROUND 3   2 single crochet in first stitch , one sc in second stitch,  2 sc in 3rd stitch,   1 sc in 4th stitch 2 sc in 5th stitch, 1 sc in 6th  stitch etc until you have a circle of 18 stitches.

IN ROUND 4  2 SC in first stitch. 1 sc in second stitch, 1 sc in third stitch, 2 sc in 4th stitch, 1 sc in fifth and 6th stitch etc until you have 24 stitches

Round 5 2 sc , followed by 1 sc in the next 3 stitches, etc until you have 30 stitches 

Continue that pattern (2sc , sc, sc, sc, sc (+1 sc each round) ) until you reach a circle of 42 stitches. 

Then do 4 rounds without adding any stitches (42 stitches per round)

Then you Decrease. Same pattern but single crochet 2 stitches together followed by 5 sc. (End up with 36 stiches)

Sc 2 together follwed by 4 sc (30 stitches)

Sc 2 together follwed by 3 sc (24 stitches ) etc until you have 18 stitches

Edited by ratdog

24 minutes ago, ratdog said:

You have a circle of 12 stitches at the end of round 2.

You are going to increase.  (Each round adds 6 sc stitches)

ROUND 3   2 single crochet in first stitch , one sc in second stitch,  2 sc in 3rd stitch,   1 sc in 4th stitch 2 sc in 5th stitch, 1 sc in 6th  stitch etc until you have a circle of 18 stitches.

IN ROUND 4  2 SC in first stitch. 1 sc in second stitch, 1 sc in third stitch, 2 sc in 4th stitch, 1 sc in fifth and 6th stitch etc until you have 24 stitches

Round 5 2 sc , followed by 1 sc in the next 3 stitches, etc until you have 30 stitches 

Continue that pattern (2sc , sc, sc, sc, sc (+1 sc each round) ) until you reach a circle of 42 stitches. 

Then do 4 rounds without adding any stitches (42 stitches per round)

Then you Decrease. Same pattern but single crochet 2 stitches together followed by 5 sc. (End up with 36 stiches)

Sc 2 together follwed by 4 sc (30 stitches)

Sc 2 together follwed by 3 sc (24 stitches ) etc until you have 18 stitches

Hi thank u so much for your explanation.

But if you see round 4 it stated 27 stitches n 36stitches for round 5 instead of 24 and 30.  Do I ignore that?  

Oops! My bad. I went on auto pilot with how to make a sphere!. 

Ok round 3 2 dc in one stitch, 1 dc in next stitch around (18 stitches!)

Round 4 same thing !  2 dc in one stitch, 1 dc in next stitch (27 stitches) 

Then round five increases.  

And, i said single crochet (autopilot!) And your pattern says double crochet (is this uk terms?)

Hi yes it's UK   I'm so new to crochet I din know abt this UK US term until this morning n it drove me crazy cos what I was lookin at all e YouTube us version.  Until I read on instruction that states its UK only do I realise they are different.  

So round 5 onwards getting confusing...

2dc increase 9x 36sts

4dc inc 6x 42 sts

Really zero knowledge until today.  

And very grateful for all your replies.  

Edited by Joeys