Whimsical Stitches - Lauren Espy question

Jorja

Question

Does anyone know why when I try and crochet a pattern and its supposed to be round it goes wavy and does anyone what I can do to fix it? For example the jellyfish pattern for the body goes:

Round 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6 sts)

R2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 sts)

R3: *Sc 1, 2 sc in next st,* 6 times. (18 sts)

R4: *Sc 2, 2 sc in next st,* 6 times. (24 sts)

R5: *Sc 3, 2 sc in next st,* 6 times. (30 sts)

R6: *Sc 4, 2 sc in next st,* 6 times. (36 sts)

R7: *Sc 5, 2 sc in next st,* 6 times. (42 sts)

R8-14: Sc 42.

R15: Through FRONT loops only, *Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1 in one st, sc 1 in next st,* 21 times (84 sts)

Sl st and fasten off.

(p.s they are in US crochet terms) 

Thank you in advance I'm new to crochet!

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville and to crochet!

The scheme you gave thru round 7 is the 'rule of thumb' for SC, that works for the 'average crocheter', or crocheter with average stitch tension/gauge. (start with 6 in the center, and add 6 each round, to make a flat circle. 

Rnds 1 thru 7 should 'theoretically' make a round circle, for the average crocheter--it is a scheme you will see repeated at the beginning of a lot of stuffed toys.  If your stitches are a bit shorter than average, it could ruffle due to the rules of geometry for a flat circle (ratio of circumference to diameter--don't feel bad, I have this problem too, and have to make adjustments for a lot of things).  However, it may not be an issue for this pattern because the following rounds 8-14 are made without any increases, which should make it look like a pouch, like this: U , which will take the ruffles out.  The U shape is a perfectly reasonable shape for a jellyfish's "float", if you were to add tentacles at the top of the U, and turned it upside down so the tentacles hang down.  I hope that makes sense?

Edited to add - in my observation the majority of crochet hats that hug the head are made top down, in the way your jellyfish is - in a round flat circle for the diameter of the hat, then worked to the brim without increasing.  So does your pattern photo's jellyfish top-most part sort of look like a head-hugging hat shape?  If so, what you have is probably going to work out.

Edited by Granny Square

Is this your pattern?  Not the pattern itself, but showing what the jellyfish looks like.  If so, you can see what I mean about the 'floaty thing' looking like a hat, or an upside down U in profile.

If you really hate the part above rnd 8 being wavy, the easiest solution that keep the stitches looking close to the same might be throwing an extra round in there with no increases midway.  I think an extra round of length wouldn't hurt.