HELP: Making a bag for my mom

mizamarsya

Question

I'm making a market bag for my mom and im stuck! I have no idea what this means. What does cross over mean? 

Round 5(Change to Hook J/6.00mm): TURN to work from wrong side, ch1, *sc in next ch1 space, skipping dc, cross over sc just made and sc in previous ch1 space*, repeat between * to end, join. (120)

https://pattern-paradise.com/2019/08/04/free-crochet-pattern-bellissima-market-bag/

1 answer to this question

Orienting myself, you started at the bottom of the bag with an oval and worked 6 rnds for the base.  It is written a (little) bit unconventionally, but the designer gives an explanation in the notes section, which is helpful.

Now you have worked 4 rounds beyond the base, also in rounds, for the start of the bag's lacy body.  Rnd 4 was alternating 1 dc and 1 ch.

What the pattern is telling you to do is similar to an 'X' stitch, which is usually done in DC.  It's probably easier to imagine in your head in DC, because it is taller: in a row of DC, skip a stitch in the row below (let's call it DC#1), and make the next DC (DC#2) into the stitch you skipped before the last DC; DC#2 can either in front or back of DC#1.  This takes a little bit of hook twisting, but all it is is making 2 stitches out of order, and the second stitch, because it is out of order, has to end up either in front (over) or back (behind) of the first stitch.

Your pattern says "TURN to work from wrong side, ch1, *sc in next ch1 space, skipping dc, cross over sc just made and sc in previous ch1 space*, repeat between * to end, join. (120)

here is a video, this is DC but I hope it helps you see what is going on.  It is a bit mind bending the first time you do this sort of thing!

Edited by Granny Square