First try at a crochet jumper

Vanessa16

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

It's OK to type the entire line out of a pattern you are questioning; I can give a guess at what your pattern is saying but I'm not 100% sure.  First, sps is probably an abbreviation for spaces; in between those spaces there was some mix of DC that added up to 54.

Some pattern lines spell out the stitches you are supposed to do in detail (as usual), but at the very end of the pattern line it gives you a 'summary' of the stitches that you should have made, so you can double check your stitch count at the end of a row. An example to illustrate this that fits your stitch count, but probably doesn't exactly match your pattern: " row x: *12 DC, chain 2, 14 DC, chain 2; repeat from * once (54 DCs, 4 CH-2 spaces) "

Hello! Thank you for replying to my question! I have attached a photo of the section of the pattern I am up to, hopefully that helps! 

Does that mean I didn't need to do the additional 54 dc at the end of the row??

16248353409271791286860692358938.jpg

16248354431224830823989712457029.jpg

Correct, you (should have already) made 54 stitches, it's a 'sanity check' for you to use to double check your stitch count to make sure you followed the instruction correctly, not an instruction to make new stitches

More commonly you'll see the end stitch count summary in parentheses at the end (like my example above), which makes it more clear that it's not part of the pattern instruction for you to execute.   Not all patterns give you this info but it is nice to have, to count and possibly catch a mistake right away, before you get too far past it.