How to make one side neat with bobbins

Aries1982

Question

1 answer to this question

Yes, you have to flip your work, which makes it a tiny bit harder to keep your place on the back (messy) side; I end up counting stitch tops ahead or behind my current position to see where I am.

You will work the odd numbered rows right to left, and the even rows left to right (as a right-hander that is how it makes sense for me).  

For the ends, don't mix the colors up, example weave in blue yarn tail into blue stitches, and so on.  I don't recommend working over ends (it makes the stitch looser and is not as secure), but if you must, work over an end using the same color as the end.  So for the outlines in black, you might have to weave down several columns of the narrow black outlines.  Always weave in more than 1 direction.

You may have used the image on your phone just as a way to post it here, but I recommend printing the pattern out to use it.  I think it would be impossible to keep track of one's progress on a graph using a tiny phone screen.  (If your blanket is 48" wide, that's 144 stitches across the blanket using the Red Heart Super Saver ball band gauge, not unusual for a 'throw' size blanket--you'd need to see all 144 sts clearly enough to tell exactly which stitch you are on, you can't just zoom in on a few stitches as you go). 

I keep track of the rows by covering up the graph pattern for the rows above the one I'm currently working on, so what I see on the graph is what I see on my fabric--from my experience it's much easier to keep on track and avoid errors (or catch them quicker).  When I am done with a row, I make a tic mark at the end of the row on the side of the row where I made the last stitch.  This helps when you put it down and pick it up later, you will know the next 'un-ticked' row is the one to start with, PLUS what direction you need to work it.

Edited by Granny Square