Simple DC throw

LeapyearCynthia

Question

I almost hate to even ask this, but it seems the simple things are the ones I can't wrap my mind around.  

I am working on a very simple nothing-but-DC throw.  Basically, I start with a chain of X (X being desired width- I am doing 160 chains).  Anyway, as I am working up my rows, I am gaining stitches with each row.  I was thinking that if I counted the TC as a stitch that would solve the problem and my count would remain even. - Ha!  Maybe because I am working into it at the end of the row, or not skipping a stitch at the beginning if the row is what is throwing me?

I was over 2/3 done with this one and discovered that I had gained almost 30 stitches.  Ripped the whole thing apart and am trying again.  So frustrated that something that should be so stinkin' easy is twisting me up.  (Photo us from the original workup).

Thanks y'all for any advice and input you can offer!!!! 🧡🧡

20190501_105303.jpg

Edited by LeapyearCynthia

4 answers to this question

I can't see the edges of your blanket to confirm where you are going wrong, but 'my blanket is crooked' is the top complaint in this forum.  (I like your color scheme!)

The normal scheme for US DC: the turning chain counts as a stitch; it's usually 3 chains, which is about the height of a DC.

Conventionally, you chain x, turn, and DC into the 4th chain - this leaves 3 chains to act as the first stitch.  Crochet across. Chain 3, turn.

Now you are starting row 2:  you skip the first stitch, because the chain 3 IS a stitch and ACTS as if it is in the first stitch.  At the end of the following row, you make the last DC into the top of the chains you skipped (or the turning chain, for all the future rows)--remember, turning chains act like a stitch and must be worked into.

Omitting  one or the other or both of the steps I underlined is the cause of 99% of crooked blankets.

One way that is unconventional, but may help cure your problem (1) instead of chaining 3 for a DC turning chain skipping the first chain, turn, make a normal SC into the first stitch (no skipping the first stitch, because you don't do this for SC) and chain 2 - this approximates the height of a DC stitch, which is what a turning chain is for.  When you come to the chains made after the SC at the end of the next row, crochet into the top chain - if you omit doing this part you will still end up with a crooked blanket.  It might not hurt to put a stitch marker into that topmost chain of the turning chain, and moving the markers up as you go so you don't forget.

Another technique that I came up with, or at least I've never seen it documented elsewhere is: don't chain 1, but turn and make a SC into the first stitch.  Then make a second SC into the left side of that first SC - if you look at the left side of the stich, there are 2 vertical loops ||, work under those.  This makes a solid stitch, for me about the height of my DCs, has a normal stitch-top, and a nice looking outer edge - the top of the first SC sort of 'tips' to the right side.  Then work across - the last stitch to be worked into will look like a normal stitch, not the top of a chain.  It is a little thicker than a DC, but IMO looks better than skipping the first stitch.

Another technique is a chainless DC - there are youtube videos out there that show you how to do it. It involves pulling up a loop and twisting the hook around in a certain way.  It leaves a normal stitch-top, too. 

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern   this page talks about what stiches' turning chains count as a stitch, and how to deal with it.  If you look at the menu on the right side, there's lots of other good info on that site as well.

• Thanks 1

@Granny Square I knew if anybody could straighten me out it would be you!  I really don't know you but I like you so much 🧡 

I tried to find a picture of my increasing edges before I tore the whole thing apart but apparently I was so mad at it that I put it in timeout and didn't take any shots before I finally pulled it out after *several* months and started frogging.  (Unusual for me, as I take pictures of almost everything - good, bad, and ugly!)

Anyhow, IIRC, I was working my ends off a YT video that I haven't been able to find again for some crazy reason - and it seems that you chained two then worked into the chain somehow to make less gaps at the end of the rows.  Whatever it was, I clearly wasn't doing it right and it was pretty whacked up 😂  When I started the 2nd time, I was counting the turning chain and then immediately working into the first stitch of the row.  Nope, that won't work either and even my dumb behind should know that.  

I hadn't been crocheting long at all when I started this project, but I do have a pretty high learning curve, so thus shouldn't have been a problem.  Hubby says my mind is just too complicated for something so simple, but what does he really know (oh but wait, he did marry me!!!😍)

I'm just determined not to let this defeat me, and I won't!  I am so obsessed with the whole project that eventually I will get it right!  (I am almost finished with another of those 'nightmare' projects that kicked my butt more than once.  Persistence does pay off!)

Thank you again for your help, didn't mean to fall down the rabbit hole with my response.  Enjoy the holiday and crochet lots!!!

On 5/31/2021 at 7:12 PM, Granny Square said:

I can't see the edges of your blanket to confirm where you are going wrong, but 'my blanket is crooked' is the top complaint in this forum.  (I like your color scheme!)

The normal scheme for US DC: the turning chain counts as a stitch; it's usually 3 chains, which is about the height of a DC.

Conventionally, you chain x, turn, and DC into the 4th chain - this leaves 3 chains to act as the first stitch.  Crochet across. Chain 3, turn.

Now you are starting row 2:  you skip the first stitch, because the chain 3 IS a stitch and ACTS as if it is in the first stitch.  At the end of the following row, you make the last DC into the top of the chains you skipped (or the turning chain, for all the future rows)--remember, turning chains act like a stitch and must be worked into.

Omitting  one or the other or both of the steps I underlined is the cause of 99% of crooked blankets.

One way that is unconventional, but may help cure your problem (1) instead of chaining 3 for a DC turning chain skipping the first chain, turn, make a normal SC into the first stitch (no skipping the first stitch, because you don't do this for SC) and chain 2 - this approximates the height of a DC stitch, which is what a turning chain is for.  When you come to the chains made after the SC at the end of the next row, crochet into the top chain - if you omit doing this part you will still end up with a crooked blanket.  It might not hurt to put a stitch marker into that topmost chain of the turning chain, and moving the markers up as you go so you don't forget.

Another technique that I came up with, or at least I've never seen it documented elsewhere is: don't chain 1, but turn and make a SC into the first stitch.  Then make a second SC into the left side of that first SC - if you look at the left side of the stich, there are 2 vertical loops ||, work under those.  This makes a solid stitch, for me about the height of my DCs, has a normal stitch-top, and a nice looking outer edge - the top of the first SC sort of 'tips' to the right side.  Then work across - the last stitch to be worked into will look like a normal stitch, not the top of a chain.  It is a little thicker than a DC, but IMO looks better than skipping the first stitch.

Another technique is a chainless DC - there are youtube videos out there that show you how to do it. It involves pulling up a loop and twisting the hook around in a certain way.  It leaves a normal stitch-top, too. 

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern employee monitoring software  this page talks about what stiches' turning chains count as a stitch, and how to deal with it.  If you look at the menu on the right side, there's lots of other good info on that site as well.

hi, i'm new to this forum ..
hmm you came up with an interesting method and thanks for your link ..

Edited by lisukovigor492