Finishing my Aunt's Blanket

goldenegg

Question

Hi Everyone! 

My Aunt recently passed and left some unfinished crochet projects that I am hoping to finish. This one is a crochet blanket made from squares, and there are only 2 left to attach... I am more of a knitter than crocheter, and am having trouble figuring out how to do this seam, or what it is even called. I'm attaching a photo in hopes that someone could say "that's the ____________ stitch/seam" and then I can look it up online to complete this beautiful blanket. Thanks so much in advance!

connecting question.jpg

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville, my condolences to your recent loss.

And I'm not the best at 'what is this stitch', but I have a guess--if I'm wrong hopefully someone will chime in with a better idea.  Good news, if I'm right, it's pretty simple.

Is there a small ridge on the reverse side of the seam?  There are a 4 simple ways to 'sew' a seam with a plain crochet stitch, and 2 of them would leave those parallel lines that sort of look like sewing machine stitching on each side as your squares have. (1) slip stitching the squares together from the wrong side, by holding them right side together so the 2 squares' edge stitch-tops match up--each stitch-top has 2 strands, so there are 4 strands lined up; slip stitch the squares together using the center outer 2 strands, in other words 1 strand from each square.  (2) the same as 1, except using US SC .  

If you are curious, (3) and (4) are slst or SC thru both loops of the edge stitch, but that would not leave the 'sewing machine stitches' on the front side.

edited, there is something else going on, I did a swatch; I got the sewing machine stitch ridges but the stuff in the middle doesn't look the same either with sc or slst, sorry!

Edited by Granny Square