Bra Cup Increases

Non.functioning.mind

Question

Hi there. I’m following a bralette pattern and I’m noticing a problem with my increases. After each row, there’s meant to be an increase of 2. But I noticed that on the side where I chain up, there’s only an increase of 1, and the other side has the proper increase of 2. It uses half double crochets, so the chain does not count as a stitch, so I have to insert into the first stitch. I’m pretty sure I am, but even when I count to make sure I will have an increase of 2, there’s only an increase of 1. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong and any advice would help

I uploaded a picture and the black mark is where I would start, and then there’s a gold pin on the opposite side where I put 2 half double crochets. Should be 18 stitches but there’s only 17 spots available, and then on the opposite side there’s room for 18

04D03A1E-9C06-4404-BCFA-4BB55398F41D.jpeg

Edited by Non.functioning.mind
Added picture and last paragraph. Spelling

2 answers to this question

HDC is the only 'basic' stitch I know of where the turning chain "rule" of counting it as a stitch (or not) is inconsistent (the craft yarn council is wishy-washy too, it omits HDC from the discussion of turning chains;  it describes how turning chains don't count as a stitch in SC and then specifically says "turning chains don’t disappear when working in double crochet or taller stitches. Now they count as a stitch." ).  My observation - some HDC patterns have a turning chain of 1 and treat it like a SC (not a stitch), some have a turning chain of 2 and can go either way.  Designers should spell it out, but they don't always.

Your wording implied each row's count should increase by 2 more than the row before, consisting of 1 increase on each end.

If the designer specifically said the turning chain did not count as a stitch, the easiest way to increase at both ends is to ignore her (or him) and count the turning chain as a stitch on both ends - after the turning chain, don't skip the first stitch but use it instead, and at the far end put 2 stitches into the top chain of the turning chain in the row below.

I think you added your photo just as I posted my reply.  I was imagining ordinary turned rows, now I see you are working in sort of a half oval, or U shape, same side facing (I assume) which makes total sense for the underside of a bra.

From starting at the black marker, all the way around back to the underside of the black marker, do you have the right number of stitches?  I would call what I am seeing 1 row, because I imagine now you will turn with the same side facing and work back toward the black marker, making more increases at the gold marker end.  if you don't have the right number of stitches now...the increases are all at gold marker end, I'd just rip back to that end and evenly distribute the right number of increases, so your stitch count is right at this point as a base going forward.