Crochet thread edging on pillowcase - HELP!

CarolCrocheting

Question

Hello! I'm so glad to find this group. I learned to crochet when I was about 10 from my grandma. I didn't do any for decades 🙄 and now in the past few years I've taken it up again and have made several afghans for family and friends.

My mother found some pillowcases my grandma had crocheted the lace edging on many many years ago. I remember using these pillowcases as a teenager and I love them. But at some point they began to unravel and got put away. Now I would love to repair them, but I'm having trouble figuring out the stitches. I hate to unravel anya of my grandma's stitching. I'm wondering if any of you experts can take a look and figure out how this was stitched?

I can see the chain stitched into the edge of the pillowcase, and then it looks like chain 2, double crochet repeated for first row. After that, I get lost. Can you see how there's a double crochet (or something) that looks like it's going sideways right under the little ruffle/flower at the top? It's beyond me!

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_20210516_224916543_2.jpg

IMG_20210525_135039149.jpg

IMG_20210517_080536563.jpg

Edited by CarolCrocheting

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  I'm sorry this happened to your heirloom.

I just deleted a guess that I realized wouldn't work; I think I got 'stuck' the same place you did.  I've done patterns where DCs are made sidewise like your example (base of the 'flower'), but I can't quite visualize the order that all the parts fit together, if that makes sense. 

Hopefully someone will come along with more imagination than I have.

Thanks Granny Square. That makes perfect sense. I started experimenting with regular yarn and hood just to see if I could figure it out and I get stuck figuring how it all fits together too. I'll keep studying it and hoping someone sees it and says, "Oh! That's easy. Here's how it goes." 🤞