Killing Acrylic to size up?

pennysvintagecrochet

Question

Hello fellow crocheters! I have only been doing this a few years but I finally was introduced to the steam iron blocking technique, and I can't believe I hadn't been doing it before! My question is I have made an 100% acrylic cardigan for someone, it 1 to 2 inches too small around the torso and underarms. My question is, can I pin it to where it needs to be sizewise, then place a towel over it and kill the acrylic to make the body piece bigger? I would have done it before the pieces were attached but i was given the wrong size, and I mistakenly water-blocked it without knowing that on acrylic that isn't permanent, and the stitches all tightened up again and that's why the fit is 2 inches too small. What are some potential pitfalls a beginner may experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated! 💖💖💖

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville! 

Some people swear by blocking acrylic.  I am not one of those people.

What have you been blocking so far, and why do you like it?  (just curious, to each their own) IMO blocking acrylic does not enhance the fabric's attributes - rather it removes the yarn's stretch and retract properties, and makes it sort of 'crunchy'.  I'm not talking about actually ironing it, I'm talking about briefly 'shooting' steam at it with an iron several inches away. 

If you can block it with water enough to stretch it the needed 2 inches - why don't you just tell the recipient to wash it in cold or warm water and lay out flat to dry, patting it to shape and size?  I mean, how many purchased garments have you bought with those washing instructions?

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1