Wire for large amigurumi

Punchy

Question

I’m in the process of making a full sized amigurumi greatsword (about five feet long).  I want to put some type of wire through the sword so that it holds it’s shape, what type of wire would you recommend (gauge, material) and how should I arrange it (just one long stick of wire, one wire wrapped around another wire, etc)?  I want it to have some give (not trying to hurt anyone with it lol) but I also want to be able to hold the sword out and not have it bend with the weight of the yarn and stuffing.

thanks!

3 answers to this question

I would not use wire, for fear of a kid (or anyone) getting injured.

I would use plastic canvas instead, maybe a couple of layers of it. There are different 'sizes', some may be stiffer than others, maybe the ones with the bigger holes?  If you are not familiar with it, it looks like this.  You can cut it with scissors, and for a sword you could cut more than 1 sword shape and stack them together and even sew them together, or sew to the inside of the sword with a piece of yarn so they stay put.  It's sturdy enough to 'stay put' if just sitting in a toy's hand on a shelf, but will bend a little if 'used as a sword' and you'd really have to work at hurting someone with it.

Edited by Granny Square

I just came back to this and realized I missed the 5 feet long part, and the fact that you would be wielding it, oof--I was thinking a sword a toy swashbuckler would hold onto, maybe 1 foot long at most.

My solution might still work if you layered & overlapped the sheets between layers, bonus with the holes meant for sewing into, you can line up the holes & connect layers easily that way.