So confused!

Mog1983

Question

Hi all! I was hoping to get some help with a variation on a dcv that I can’t figure out for the life of me. 

The instructions are 

Double Crochet V-Stitch (dcV)
(dc, ch 1, dc) all in next st
Dc in 1st st
Sc in 1st dc worked in last row, ch 2

I understand the first line but the dc in 1st st and sc in 1st dc has thrown me. 

Here are the two pattern lines to give it some context. 

Row1(WS): Ch1,sc in 1st st,ch1,skip next st,scinnextst,*ch3,skipnext2sts,scinnextst,rep from * to last 2 sts, end ch 1, skip next st, sc in last st. Turn.
Row2: Ch1,dcin1stst,skipnextst,dcV,*skipnext2sts,dcV,repfrom*tolast2sts,endskipnextst, dc in last st. Turn. Rep Rows 1 and 2 for Pat St until piece measures approximately 15(15-15 1/2- 15 1/2- 16-16)” from beg, end on RS with Row 2 of Pat St.

any help would be very much appreciated 

3 answers to this question

I think the DC V is only the first 2 lines of the top 4 lines you quoted, in other words "Double Crochet V-Stitch (dcV) = (dc, ch 1, dc) all in next st", and not the 2 lines that came after; I agree those do not make sense as part of a V stitch.

If you follow row 1 and 2 as written, making the V stitch with just the bolded definition, does it look like the pattern photo?  Pattern photo peering is a good way to ensure you are reading something correctly.

Thank you so much for your answer! It’s the berrocco delicata free pattern. The pictures are pretty small so I can’t quite puzzle it out. I had a look on ravelry and people said it really didn’t make much sense which does make me feel better. Am a confident knitter so I didn’t think I’d struggle with pattern instructions but this has fried my brain as I can’t see the way it would carry along the work. 

I’m going to continue with the double v’s and see how it looks. The only issue I have come across is that it may not suit someone with a bigger bust so maybe I should look elsewhere for a pattern challenge 

Looking at Ravelry projects, including a nice closeup (purple vest) on the pattern page, it looks like mostly V stitch so I think ignoring the extra lines is pretty safe.  Good luck with your project, the pattern seems to cover a lot of sizes so I hope it works out for you, or you find another one that does.

Raveler CrochetEtCetera's project has a stitch diagram that another person found helpful.  I'm a more experienced crocheter than knitter, but I find crochet diagrams pretty intuitive because the stitch symbol (sort of) looks like the stitch (DC stitch symbol is taller than a SC for example), and  the resulting fabric looks (sort of) like the diagram.  

If you aren't already familiar with this site  (Craft Yarn Council) , see the menu at the right side there's a section on crochet chart symbols.