Slip stitch in previous stitch?

TheCodedMaster

Question

I have this pattern that I've been doing, but I can't find a way to do a slip stitch in the previous stitch. In Round 13 (https://blueraindrops.com/crochet-cathedral-doily/) it says to chain 4 and then slip stitch in top of last dc. It seems super awkward to me whenever I actually try and do it, and I don't know if I should slip stitch around the back or the front or really anything like that. Is there a tutorial or something for slip stitching in the previous stitch?

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

This is a picot, it the little bump on the last row in the middle of each shell stitch.  The instruction is "2dc, ch4 and slst in the last dc"--which means the dc you that the ch4 'is coming out of'.  It is a little awkward, but a normal way to make a picot; you are closing the chain to make a loop that sits on top of that DC..  

I'll see if I can find a video...edit, found one.  This is 3 chains not 4, but the same concept.  Notice where she is putting the hook into the stitch to anchor the picot.

Edited by Granny Square

57 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

This is a picot, it the little bump on the last row in the middle of each shell stitch.  The instruction is "2dc, ch4 and slst in the last dc"--which means the dc you that the ch4 'is coming out of'.  It is a little awkward, but a normal way to make a picot; you are closing the chain to make a loop that sits on top of that DC..  

I'll see if I can find a video...edit, found one.  This is 3 chains not 4, but the same concept.  Notice where she is putting the hook into the stitch to anchor the picot.

Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure that I was trying to put my slip stitch into the double crochet before the one I put my chains into, and not the same one. That's probably why it seemed so awkward to me. Thanks!