stitches for all around tops!!

Camille Lim

Question

hey! ive been trying out some crochet tops and from what ive noticed you really cant slip on a some what fitting top without a tie in the back. i personally dont like the look of the tie in the back and was wondering if anyone has any stitches that would work for an all around band as a top (tops that are kind of fitting to the body) or any type of stretchy stitch at all. i hate to sound picky with the amount of leeway given, but anything but ribbing would be ideal. 

p.s. let me know if you have any tips or tricks to make it stretchy too! 

THANK YOU!!

1 answer to this question

Back in ancient times, like the 1960s and earlier, fabric dresses (so no stretch at all) and even some knit items that were form fitting had zippers in the back, or sometimes under the arm to help you get into them.  Zippers would not be practical with crocheted tops, but maybe buttons?

I don't know of a  super stretchy crochet stitch, hopefully others here will chime in.  I know a lot of crocheters hate the idea of learning to knit, but knitted stockinette can be pretty stretchy, unfortunately crochet stitches that look like knit are bulky and less stretchy than 'plain' crochet stitches.