Pattern Help

king.rxdsxils

Question

I just need help understanding this pattern. I know im doing it wrong i just dont know how its supposed to work??

Its for a jellyfish and I know its the front loops only but it doesnt make any sense.

R15: Through FRONT loops only, *Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1 in one st, sc 1 in next st,* 21 times.

It doubles the amount of stitches I have ( from 42 to 84 ) but I dont??? Understand how?? Like- it just seems like 4 stitches. Sc, hdc, sc sc, repeat. 3 scs and a hdc. I dont! Understand! please help i am stupid.

3 answers to this question

You're not stupid, this could have been written more clearly however.  I'm interpreting this the same way, parentheses addition mine:

"*(Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1) in one st, sc 1 in next st "  This turns 2 stitches into 4 as you said.

Does the pattern tell you what part of the jellyfish you are working on?  Is it a tentacle?  This would probably twist itself into a curlicue shape if it were made across a chain. Or if you are working on the ... floaty part? in the round, it could make sense for the shaping which is oval-ish, in the jellyfish I've seen (used to do a lot of snorkeling and even got stung by one--oww!!--when I was younger).

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Granny Square said:

You're not stupid, this could have been written more clearly however.  I'm interpreting this the same way, parentheses addition mine:

"*(Sc 1, hdc 1, sc 1) in one st, sc 1 in next st "  This turns 2 stitches into 4 as you said.

Does the pattern tell you what part of the jellyfish you are working on?  Is it a tentacle?  This would probably twist itself into a curlicue shape if it were made across a chain. Or if you are working on the ... floaty part? in the round, it could make sense for the shaping which is oval-ish, in the jellyfish I've seen (used to do a lot of snorkeling and even got stung by one--oww!!--when I was younger).

Thank you!!! This worked, it was for little frills around the edges of the top bit of the jellyfish. Thank you so much!!!