Size of project is too wide

Dnparker63

Question

2 answers to this question

Sorry, no way to just chop off an edge and fix it in a crochet way without ripping out -- the only way I can think of that might look sort of OK is if you cut it, reinforce the cut edge with several rows of sewing machine stitching or a LOT of darning by hand, and put a wide fabric binding over the edge all the way around by hand or machine so it looks like a design feature not a repair.  I have seen a crocheted blanket pattern pattern with fabric binding that didn't look too bad, it was an entrelac pattern where by the nature of the technique the edges are ripple-like and the binding straightened off the edges.

If you rip and start over (which is what I would do), decide how much too wide it is, let's say it's 6 inches too wide.  Put a stitch marker at that 6" point (bobby pin, safety pin, a short length of scrap yarn pulled thru that stitch).  Count the rest of the stitches (the ones you would 'keep' if you cut it), let's say it's 200 stitches to keep, so that's about how wide it should be.  After you rip, chain 210 stitches - yes, this is too many, but the extra 10 is insurance - turn and work back until it looks right width-wise to you--you may decide to use a few of those extra 10 stitches to complete a pattern repeat.  Later on, pick out the knot and those extra stitches and weave in the end - it will not unravel from the knot end.

This was the fabric edged entrelac blanket pattern I was talking about so you can get an idea of the 'look' of a fabric edged crochet blanket , it does give it a nice finished edge (but IMO you'd have to edge it all around to look right, like a design feature not fixing a flaw).  

https://www.nikkiinstitches.com/tunisian-crochet-entrelac-style-baby-blanket/