Need help with a pattern

Casilva508

Question

Hi, My mom made a beautiful doily years ago that I’m trying to replicate. I am stumped on how she did the middle portion of the doily. I tried different ways  but haven’t been to solve this puzzle! If anyone could get me started I would so appreciate it. 

Celia 

0A4805B5-87E9-4943-A2F0-E21F65D82F3F.jpeg

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I'm not coming up with any elegant ways to do the middle part with the stitches oriented the way they are (I can think of a few ways that would, but with a lot of ends to weave...example making 6 vertical strips, then making 11 rows across (slip stitching over the open 'meshes', so that's 46 ends...)

...The only other thing I can think of would be a filet technique, see this page of  filet techniques, all the way to the bottom to 'big squares'.  That's the only filet technique on that page I've never done, but it doesn't look difficult.  It won't orient the stitches the way they are in your pattern, the DCs will all be oriented the same way, but it will get a similar look. 

(Normal, common) filet is based on squares of 3, a filled square is 3 DC, an open square is 2 chains, skip 2 DC, DC in the next DC.  I can't quite count the stitches in your piece, but one 'big square' covers 4 'normal' open meshes of 3 stitches each, 2 meshes each over 2 rows (In other words, 6 stitches across and 2 rows high)which looks like it should be close to fitting into the scheme of your pattern.

You don't need to follow the rules of normal filet, you could make it wider or narrower, but to change the height you'd either have to go 3 rows, or taller stitches.  Visualizing how the little open squares look in your pattern, which appear to be a normal open filet mesh size, imagining putting 4 of those little open squares into a big open square...is pretty close?

37 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

I'm not coming up with any elegant ways to do the middle part with the stitches oriented the way they are (I can think of a few ways that would, but with a lot of ends to weave...example making 6 vertical strips, then making 11 rows across (slip stitching over the open 'meshes', so that's 46 ends...)

...The only other thing I can think of would be a filet technique, see this page of  filet techniques, all the way to the bottom to 'big squares'.  That's the only filet technique on that page I've never done, but it doesn't look difficult.  It won't orient the stitches the way they are in your pattern, the DCs will all be oriented the same way, but it will get a similar look. 

(Normal, common) filet is based on squares of 3, a filled square is 3 DC, an open square is 2 chains, skip 2 DC, DC in the next DC.  I can't quite count the stitches in your piece, but one 'big square' covers 4 'normal' open meshes of 3 stitches each, 2 meshes each over 2 rows (In other words, 6 stitches across and 2 rows high)which looks like it should be close to fitting into the scheme of your pattern.

You don't need to follow the rules of normal filet, you could make it wider or narrower, but to change the height you'd either have to go 3 rows, or taller stitches.  Visualizing how the little open squares look in your pattern, which appear to be a normal open filet mesh size, imagining putting 4 of those little open squares into a big open square...is pretty close?

Thank you!  I will give it a try 😊