Reindeer - 2dc in every 4th st?

Lisasntj

Question

Hi everyone! :hi

I was given a crochet-kit as a gift, with which I should make a stuffed reindeer. I'm a total beginner, I've managed to crochet the body, but now I'm stuck on the pattern for the head part. 

In particular, I'm not sure I understand these two lines (note that my pattern uses UK crochet terms, so dc=sc for US members):

- R7: Work 2 dc in every 4th st, 2 dc (=22).

- R15: Work every 6th & 7th st together, 2 dc (=26).

I really don't understand what I'm supposed to do: do I have to skip to the 4th stitch and increase 2 dc, then make 1 dc in the two following stitches? But what about the third stitch before the next 4th stitch? 
Same thing for the second line, I don't get how I'm supposed to crochet until the 6th and 7th stitches... :shrug

Here's a picture of the pattern I'm working on, in case it would be of use, I hope it's legible.

Thanks in advance for your help!! :nworthy

Lisa

IMG_20210127_085922474.MP.jpg

3 answers to this question

R7 you are increasing to 22 stitches from the 18 on R6 so you are adding 4 stitches.  If you increase every 4th stitch you will be adding 4 stitches but only using 16 of the 18 stitches in R6 so you need 2 dc to complete the round.

R7 written out

dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, 2dc in next stitch

dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch

R15 you are  you are going to 26 stitches from 30 stitches in R14 so you are making 4 decreases by double crocheting 2 stitches in R14 together into 1 stitch on R 15.

R15

dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc the next two stitches of previous row together

dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch, dc the next two stitches of previous row together

dc in next stitch, dc in next stitch

Thank you for your detailed explanation, this will be so much useful!

I think the " 2dc" at the end of the rows got me somehow confused. I was expecting to read something like " *3 dc, 2 dc in the next stitch*" and "*5 dc, work 2 dc together*", like in the body part of the pattern.

Aren't they the same thing? :think

We are seeing many requests for help with patterns that are written more in shorthand rather than the accepted standard and it might be a little different because its UK.  You have to approach patterns like a puzzle and search for the clues.  At least this one gives you stitch counts to look at.  Now you have learned not all patterns are written like we expect.  You can learn a lot by checking out others requests here for help.