Reading a pattern

Lenka

Question

Hi, i'm begginer and decided to go for a non begginer pattern. I don't understand what the below means in Row 3 after I reached the end of chain? how can I continue and ending up with 32 dc? (I understand from this that my row 3 is almost twice longer, is that right?) thank you

Row 1: dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in each ch until you get to the end of ch. Turn work (17 dc, 1 ch2)
Row 2: ch 2, dc in each st to end of row, ch 17 turn work (1 ch17, 17 dc, 1 ch2)
Row 3: dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in each ch until you reach the end of ch, and then cont dc in each dc st from prev row. Turn work (32 dc, 1 ch2)

1 answer to this question

Have you actually followed the instructions or are you trying to visualize what is going on?  I have learned that most of the times if I carefully follow instructions that seem weird it works out and I learned a new way to do something.

Yes row 3 is going to be twice as long as row 1 because on row 2 you have the 17 stitches worked into row 1 plus your 17 ch hanging in the air that you are going to work in per instructions on row 3

So row 3 you start at end of chain you just made and work back making stitches into each chain until you reach the dc's made in row 2.  You will now continue on across making dc's into the dc's on row 2.