Using softer yarn - weaving in ends

Bruno

Question

I used a soft yarn for a baby blanket.  When I washed the blanket, the ends that were woven in all started to come out at the cut end.  This is the first time that's happened to me.  Any solutions to keeping the woven ends in the blanket?

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

How long were your ends?  You should leave several inches of yarn to weave in; splitting the plies helps too, weave half the plies in 1 direction, half in another, also turning, anchoring the turn (looping it around  a couple of strands) and weaving back the way you came is pretty secure.  I have to leave my ends for last, because I can't undo them once woven, I have to cut out the section of fabric they were woven into.  I rarely tie knots (as my only security, sometimes I'll tie ends together and then weave the separate ends securely, so 'coming undone' would never be due to the knots), also I never just crochet over an end an call it done (I may crochet over a span, but that's not the whole weave-in, if that makes sense.

If you have really short ends that popped out (I hope nothing unraveled), the best thing I can think of is to find some matching sewing thread and try to darn them in as discreetly as you can.