Struggling to make a stocking

Megan75

Question

Hi guys! I’m trying to make some Christmas stockings but I’m struggling to read my pattern. Here’s what it says:

Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 31 ch, 3 sc in last ch, working on opposite side of ch work 32 sc; turn 67 sc.

I got to the part where I turn after the 32 single crochets on the backside of the chain. But now I don’t know what to do. I put in a turning chain but am I supposed to skip the first sc? I also want to know if I’m supposed to work 67 sc all the way around both sides of my work. Thanks in advance for any advice!

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  This is a common question, it's a weird transaction the first time you run into it - you will be creating an oval, and the foundation chain will become the center spine of the oval.

I have a suggestion - if you used the 'back bump' of the chain, this may be more difficult, because doing so pulls the chain tighter than other ways of working into the chain.  If you didn't, fine, otherwise I'd suggest you re-do and with the chain side facing, stitch across into the 1 topmost loop for the first pass of the oval.

Overview - to make an oval, you work across 1 side of the foundation chain as normal (1 stitch into each chain), except make several stitches into the very last chain to 'turn the corner' smoothly, then return back toward the beginning of the chain using the loops of the chain you didn't use on the first pass; when you get back to the beginning, you add a couple more stitches to turn the corner on that end.

I'm guessing you are starting the stocking from the bottom, and the stocking is made in 1 piece bottom up.  What I described probably mostly still applies, a difference may be if/how many stitches happen at each end to 'turn the corner' - you can make an oval that lies flat (like a placemat--this will need corner-turning stitches), or work in an oval that doesn't have extra stitches in the corner, and just continues straight up from the foundation - like a bag-shaped purse.  Or, I've seen Christmas stockings with square heels and round toes, 1 end of the chain might have no increases (square heel) and the other end does have increases to allow for rounder toe shaping.

• Thanks 1

So the one I’m currently working on is a dog stocking that’s meant to look like this But one of of my first row looks a little funky. The second pic shows what I mean. This is the side where I did not work in 3 sc in the last chain. I have no idea if this is right or not. I’m also wondering now if I turn my work at the row 2 or not. Here’s what my pattern says 

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in 32 sc, [inc] 3 times, sc in remaining 32 sc; turn 70 sc.

Also if it helps, it says that I’m doing to separate sides and joining them at the end. 

067404B3-7C15-4CB5-BF86-612A7139786B.png

880B980C-2B38-4D35-BE11-B24CCAFFCC2F.jpeg

Well, there's no way I'd have imagined that doggie stocking!  Cute!

So instead of an oval, it's a U shape, the top of the U is the straight top of the stocking, and you can see the curved end of the U shape between the big foot pad and the toe pads--just orienting myself.  (preview - you didn't do anything wrong IMO the pattern is a tiny bit hosed up)

So you chained 34, then the first line is :"Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 31 ch, 3 sc in last ch, working on opposite side of ch work 32 sc; turn 67 sc."

The first half of the "U", slightly reworded with my comments:

chain 34; turn, skip the first chain (note, this is the turning chain, so uses 1 chain functionally on both sides of the chain but creates no stitch) SC in next 32 chains, 3 sc in last ch ,

OK, let's stop and review - the 3 SC in the last chain turns the corner-which means it uses (almost) 360° of that last chain, in other words both sides of the chain.  The turning chain is to raise the yarn to the height of the first SC stitch, so is no longer part of the base chain, it sort of 'sits up' next to the SC.

Which means, out of the initial 34 chains made, 2 are now 'used up', so there are only 32 undersides left - so this fits with the rest of the line which says "working on opposite side of ch work 32 sc; turn (67 sc).

So, the pattern stitch count is correct, you should end up with the ends meeting fairly evenly at the top (non curved) side of the U.  At most there might be a tiny bump on 1 side where the turning chain 'sits up'.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for all your help! I guess what is confusing me is just the part jutting out at the end and how to proceed from that. But from what I understand you’re saying that’s just the bump where the chain sits up and it’s not a problem. I’ll try to continue from here and see what happens!

I'm not positive; count your stitches just to make sure.  It does look like there is an extra sc on the hook side, but it's hard to tell, might just need a little yanking of the stitches into place.  If there is a little irregularity there it's going to end up front and center (or could be back and center, too, I suppose) but it looks like you finish it off with an edging of SC so you might be able to hide/disguise it if it really is an extra stitch.

Edited by Granny Square