Help with instructions and size.

Jtcrich

Question

Hi all,

New to crochet and trying to make my new born niece a teddy for Christmas but I’ve gone wrong somewhere so I’m hoping lovely people on here can help. 

I’ve attached some photos of the instructions and what I’ve ended up with, let me know if you need anything more to help. 

One of my main queries is when it says round 15-18, I’ve just repeated the round, is this wrong?

690BD63C-7E96-49F0-9336-31B798AAA6A1.jpeg

F2A09EF5-E7D3-4900-B78A-98EF07508E37.jpeg

0253F327-4D82-4123-87E1-924075EDACD4.jpeg

0B98B621-8E37-4B4D-AC36-B5CC31A421BF.jpeg

Edited by Jtcrich

1 answer to this question

Last question first, because it's quick--row 15-18 are all the same, DC in every stitch for those 4 rounds.   Notice the end stitch count for all these rounds is the same as round 14, so those rounds have no increases or decreases.  Not all patterns do this, but some, like yours, give a total stitch count at the end of each row or round (in parentheses) as a 'sanity check' so you can make sure you are on track. 

Not sure if this factors in, but when you are working in a spiral like this, you should mark the first stitch of the round, and move the marker up to the first stitch of the next round after you finish each round (you may have, I just didn't spot a marker--it is almost impossible not to lose your place otherwise).  Plain old bobby pins work great and are cheaper than the craft store markers.

If you have finished to round 30, the one with the last tic mark, you should have 18 stitches around.  I didn't try to count, but eyeballing it, it appears you have at maybe 2 to 3 times that many stitches. Seriously, I've been crocheting for decades and I count my stitches, maybe not every row but I don't go too far without doing so.  I'd rather rip out a couple of rows than, I'm sorry to say, a considerably in-progress teddy bear. 

Also, you might consider re-starting with a smaller hook - your stitch gauge may be looser than the designers', and you want a fabric with no gaps if you're making a stuffed item.