What kind of crochet technique is this?

fleume

Question

Hi!

I am a complete newbie to crochet, but I really want to try, and I really want to make something with a technique that I associate with the seventies, please see the attavhed photos. I would love to look up some instruction videos, but I need to know the name of the technique.

Please see links for photos (did not manage to upload them here)

Also: I remember blankets made with this technique: it is usual to use cotton yarn or wool yarn?

Edited by fleume

3 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!  the technique is basically a square, made from the center out, called "Granny squares".  The Granny square is a classic technique and a building block of crochet.  Have you learned the basic stitches yet, like chain, single crochet , double crochet?  You'll need some of these to create anything. 

You can use lots of kinds of yarns, there is no certain type you have to use.  

this shows the basics of a square http://www.lionbrand.com/blog/how-to-crochet-a-classic-granny-square/

• Like 1

You're welcome!  

I should add, the one top you had the pic of, I think it was yellow and pink, it was made starting at the neckline and working down.  The beginning of it would be like if you skipped making the center of the square, sort of a hollowed out square.  I looked for a pattern made like that but didn't find one.  If you look up the designer Jenny King, she has a whole system called I think Get Squared, where you can make various tops etc based on granny squares.  Might be something you'd enjoy later on.  

Be sure to tell, and show, us all about whatever glorious 70s inspired stuff you make!  

Edited by magiccrochetfan