Need help understanding next step in pattern I'm working on.

MMSTIEBER

Question

10 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

It's ok to post a line of a pattern, so the 'shape armhole part is --

Row 1 (RS): Ch 2, turn, sk first hdc, hdc in next 4 hdc, hdc in next ch-1 sp, *ch 1, sk 1 hdc, hdc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * 10 (12, 14) more times for Right Front – 11 (13, 15) ch-1 sp. Continue in established pattern over these sts until Right Front measures 11 (12, 13) in. (28 (30.5, 33) cm) from beginning of armhole shaping. Fasten off.

Don't feel bad, this pattern could have been a lot clearer by just adding a few words to orient you.  It took me a while to figure out that this was worked bottom up, (I was assuming top down).  The back and fronts were made separately for 14 rows, which is 7" per pattern gauge; the 3 pieces form the bottom slit.  Then you joined the 3 pieces into 1, and worked back and forth across the combined body portion until it was 20" tall, which is the bottom of the armhole.  

In the 'shape armhole' part, you are splitting it back into 3 pieces again, so you are at first only working across the number of stitches that will be the right front, back and forth, until you reach the shoulder, and break off.  Then you reattach the yarn and work just across the back stitches to the shoulder/neckline, break off, and repeat for the left front.  Then you sew the shoulder seam....and so on.  

Thank you for your time and clarification of this section in the pattern.   

When you say: your splitting it apart, your referring to crocheting as I did for each (the back, and two sides), right?  

Sadly enough, LionBrand customer service can't explain this like you did. 

I greatly appreciate your time and assistance. 

The splitting apart from the armholes up means instead of continuing to work across ALL the stitches between the end of the slit and the start of the armholes (which are one front+back+other front in 1 piece), you will make 3 separate 'pillars', one pillar at a time.  (1) first pillar work back and forth only across the first front stitch portion x rows to to the shoulder, cut yarn.  (2) Reattach yarn, work back and forth just across the back stitch portion to the shoulder, cut yarn. (3) Reattach yarn, work other front portion back and forth to shoulder, cut yarn.  

Below is a crude sketch I drew to help another person with the construction on a similar garment - the proportions may not be exactly right, and doesn't have the bottom slits, but it should give you an idea of what I meant by 'pillars'.  The vertical red lines are the 'side seams', ignore these as your piece doesn't have side seams it's all 1 piece from the undeararms down.  The blue lines show how you'd fold the fronts over the back, right sides together, to sew the shoulder seam.

Sweater Jacket.jpg

Sending a  big "thank you" for all your help thus far. So far your instructions had made sense and I'm on the way just about finished the back section heading on to Left Front section. 

I greatly appreciate your time and assistance regarding this difficult pattern. 

The pattern says "Note: Yarn is joined at armhole edge and Sleeve is worked in the round down to the wrist. From RS join yarn with sl st at underarm"

So you have sewn together the shoulder seam, right ? (the last instruction before it says "sleeve")  You'll need to do this before making the sleeve, because you are going to be working the sleeve in a circle.  The beginning/end of the round will be at the underarm, which is where you would expect a 'seam' to be.  Note, don't be tempted to work this in a spiral (without turning), because if you don't turn each round  like you did in the body rows, the fabric won't look the same.

Archived