In need of help with a pattern!

Mbadger

Question

Hello! I’m possibly being incredibly dense but I cannot for the life of me work out how to make this section of the pattern work. I’m attempting to make the cream face part of the sloth picture I have attached. I’ve aslo attached a picture of the pattern section, but the part of the pattern I’m stuck on is round 5.  Round 4 led me to end with 26 stitches, working in the round, and round 5 states [(1dc in first 3 sts, inc in next st, 1dc in next st 3 times, 1dc in next 4 sts) twice] which should lead me to 32 stitches but I cannot figure out the (1dc in next st 3 times) part and how it gets me to 32 stitches. As you can see from the picture the following rounds use the same pattern but increasing, so I need to be able to figure out this round in order to continue! It’s worked in UK crochet terms if that makes any difference.

Any help is massively appreciated! Thank you in advance.

CEAF6173-FB8A-4FAB-A549-6A70C102786F.jpeg

34957A1C-8DE3-4920-8AB4-0E3BE26E3316.jpeg

1 answer to this question

Breaking row 5 into steps, the numbers in bold is the number that step should yield:

a)  [(1dc in first 3 sts, 3

b)  inc in next st, 2

c)  1dc in next st 3 times, 3

d)  1dc in next 4 sts) 4   

We are missing the last step, but so far we have 3+2+3+4=12 stitches created into 11 from prior row

e) twice] 24 stitches made, into 22 stitches....we are 4 sts short of using the 26 from the prior row, and 8 short of the 32 we should have.  These instructions should have covered 13 stitches, since it's to be repeated for the remaining 13 to fill all 26 from the prior row.

Each row is (supposed to be) adding 6 stitches total, and the increases are at each end of the oval face (presumably under the eyes, as I'm not seeing increases elsewhere).  Row 5 has only an increase of 1, so we are missing 5.

I also think it's odd that (c) and (d) weren't combined into 1 step, 'dc in the next xstitches'.  "1 dc in next stitch x times" is the same as "1 DC in next x stitches" as far as I've always seen either phrase used - x new stitches made into x stitches from the row below.

The following row is also not adding up right either, so I don't think it's you.  I didn't look any farther; if this were me, I'd grab some paper and diagram it out (do it in a straight line, it's harder to diagram a circle), and since each line that I can see gives you half of the round, you'd only have to diagram half of the total row's stitch count.  Make sure you use up all the stitches from the prior row and stacking 3 more increases over increases from prior rows (since you are increasing 6, but diagramming half...)  So basically I'm suggesting that you re-write/redesign the pattern for the face to end up with the stitch counts given.  I wouldn't bother with the right diagram symbols, you know it's all UK DC and increases...when I hit an area that I need to diagram to fix an error or modify for whatever reason for a mono-stitch thing, I just use a line for a stitch |||| and \/ for increase, /\ for decrease.  And you'll want to write (and read) it right to left.  And...it looks like you'll have to do it for the rest of the oval.  Or first, if this was published in a book or magazine, look for errata.

Archived