Sizing Problem - New to crocheting

MattieCat

Question

Hello!  I'm new to crocheting & stupidly started an afghan without really knowing how big it will be or how many yards of yarn I'll need.  I'll give my specifics & if you could PLEASE help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Ripple Crochet, all double crochet, "I" hook, Red Heart Super Saver (744 yds) 14 oz/396g, #4 medium weight, 146 chain width, @ 52" X 70" finished (guessing), 16 stitches in 4 inches wide & @ 5 stitches in 4" tall.  From the numbers I'm looking at I'll have 108 rows & about a gillion hours of crocheting.  HAHAHA!

I was hoping to do it all in one color for which I bought 2 of the big skeins of, but in case of emergency I also bought 2 skeins of Red Heart 5 oz/141g #4 medium weight variegated.

The pattern is pretty basic:  7 dc, *3 dc, 6 dc, dc3tog* - - -  I've got 9 peaks.

The goal is to donate this to a silent auction for the nursing home I work for for their Alzheimer's association group.

Can someone please help me by telling me about how much yarn I actually need & if possible any other sizing info you can give me.

Thanks in advance!  I really appreciate it!

MattieCat's mom  :-)

2 answers to this question

Me, again! Please please please someone respond to this! I really need to know how much more yarn I  need! I promise to be more careful next time! :-)

(Mattie Cat is the name of the I cat rescued. You can call me  Rose if it seems more normal. :-) )

If you have a written pattern, it should tell how much yarn you need for it.  If you don't have the pattern--I can tell you that it takes about 16 oz. of worsted weight yarn for the lap afghans we make for Veteran's hospitals.  They are 35" X 35", so that they won't get caught in the wheels of their wheelchairs.  Also, they recommend that you do NOT use wool yarn, because of possible allergies.

If you need a large afghan, I would guess you'll need about 35 oz.  Check out the free patterns online for ripple afghans.  They will tell you how much yarn you'll need.  One good source of free patterns is crochetpatterncentral.com

Most of all--HAVE FUN!!!

Archived