Help, neither me or my 'crochet mentor' can figure this out.

paigeken

Question

HI,   I am sort of a beginner and a woman I work with is pretty experienced and helps me but neither of us can figure this out.   I am trying to make this baby sweater :

https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/baby-its-cold-outside-free-baby-crochet-sweater/?utm_source=ls&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=affiliate&siteID=05t1rdpCdm4-gWv9FsMyFjRsPtyqZ0VV6Q

I was doing well until after row 38 when you fasten off.   It says:

Pick up for the left sleeve.

Row 1: With front of sweater facing you, begin at the outside edge. Insert hook into first st and Ch 2. Hdc in next 21(23) sts. – 22(24) Hdc.

Row 2: Hdc across. Ch 2, turn.

Row 3: Hdc across. Ch 6(8) and turn.

Row 4: Hdc into 3 rd ch and Hdc across. Ch 2, turn. – 27 (31)Hdc.  etc. etc.

We are confused because it never mentions height lifting chains or turning.  Also,  it doesn't make sense because it tells you to start with the sweater facing you and to start at the outside edge, but then you would be crocheting from top to bottom???   Help?   Thanks in advance.  

2 answers to this question

There was a CAL (crochet-along) on this a while back - holy cow, 10 years - here is a link.  There might be some helpful comments/clarification on there (I wasn't a participant).  It looks really simple, just a plus sign with a slit more or less; It sounds like you work half the plus sign more or less, then come to the neck opening and work down 1 sleeve/side of the body, and come back and pick up at the neck and work the other side.  I do see mention of turning chains, chain 2 would be right for HDC; the designer may not have felt it necessary to mention it every time except when it happened when you were shaping or re-attaching the yarn (this is not uncommon, especially for vintage patterns--I realize this isn't vintage, but I can see leaving it out if it's working even, it would be understood).

So, as I said at the point you mentioned, if you look at the pic of the pink sweater with black trim looking like a +, the top of the + is where you started at the bottom hem.  You've done the top half of the + , made slip stitches to form the neckline, and have worked on one side beyond the neckline, and now you need to go back and work the other side.  The outside edge would be at the wrist end of the sleeve; it matters which side you pick it up again, because crochet looks different front and back you need to pick it up where the prior row has the back side facing you; if you picked it up at the neck edge, the stitches would look 'funny' and not match the look of the other side.

Archived