hat help

blujeans1008

Question

i am working on a beret. i have the top part made. i am now starting to work on the bottom half.

it says to ch. 81 and then join first and last lps in ch with sl st. ( i assume lps means loops)

next i am to sc in each ch around. the issue im running into is it seems to end up twisted. i start out on the top and when i get around i end up on the bottom.

what am i doing wrong? i have tried a couple times. joining a different way each time. how do i keep the round from becoming twisted.

thanks

4 answers to this question

What I would do is make the chain, then do not join it into a circle.  Just do your first row and join that.  This will be a lot easier to keep from twisting.  When finished use your beginning yarn tail to sew up the little gap between the two ends of the chain.  

41 minutes ago, blujeans1008 said:

so turn around and crochet the first row like normal. then do a slip stitch with the other end. that'll keep it straight?

well, it would still be possible to twist it before you join the sc row, but it will be a LOT easier to keep it straight.  

Kathy gave you the easy way. I'm going to give you another way that is more time consuming, but works, too.

Make the chain. Lay it on a flat surface. Use stitch markers (store bought, bobby pins, safety pins, earrings, or anything else that will stay in yarn) to mark every 10 chains. Next curl the chain together to slip stitch the last chain to the first chain. As you crochet round 1, make sure that each set of 10 stitches are on the top.

By the way, there's multiple ways to crochet into a long chain. Each chain has 3 strands of yarn. The 2 strands that make a < are called the top. The top strand closest to you is called the front loop and the other is called the back loop. The 3rd strand is - on the bottom. It's called the back bump or free loop. If you crochet round 1 by always inserting your hook under the back bump, it's easier to keep it straight and you'll have a nice edge. 

Archived