Pattern Help (new to pattern reading) please help!!!

SueF11

Question

I am trying to make a hat for myself. I have a pattern but whatever I do I can’t make it and I’m wondering if I’m reading the pattern wrong. 

This is my first project. I have learnt all my stitches but never actually made anything. 

This is my pattern (UK terminology)

Round 1 :

Ch 2 and work 7 htr in the 2nd ch from the hook (going through just the top loop of the chain only). Ss into the first htr to complete the round. Pulling gently on your starting yarn tail will close the hole at the centre of the round. (7)

Round 2 :
Ch 2 and work 1 htr in the same stitch. Work 2 htrs in each of the remaining stitches. Ss around the starting ch to close the round. (13)

Round 3:

Ch 2 and work 1 htr in the next stitch. (Take care to ensure you work in the correct stitch. It can be a little hidden by the chain.) *Work 1 htr in the next stitch. Work 2 htrs in the next stitch.* Repeat ** to the end of the round (ending on a 2 htr). Ss around the starting ch to close the round. (19)

When I have followed these instructions, I always end up with more stitches than what it says in (brackets) at the end. When stitching a 1 htrs in the next stitch I haven’t  skipped the 3 chains like I was taught when learning my stitches. Is this where I’m going wrong?!?! What does in mean when the pattern says “work 1 htr in the next stitch”

Jules Slouch Hat.pdf

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Your instructions are a mix of telling you to either put 1 stitch into the next 1 stitch below in the prior round, or to put 2 stitches into the next 1 stitch below in the prior round.  I hope that makes sense?  I can't think of a clearer way to say it.

When you make a flat circle, you start with a number of stitches (usually 6 for UK DC, 8 or 9 for UK HTR, 12 for UK treble), and increase by that same number number every round.

Your instructions are following that scheme.  The only little bell going off in my head is that 7 sounds like not quite enough for half treble, but we'll ignore that for now.

So, you start with 7.

Next round, you put 2 stitches into each stitch, so you add 7 to end up with 14.

Next round, put 2 stitches into 1 stitch, 1 in the 1 following stitch, repeat.  This adds 7 so you end up with 21. (so, one stitch has 2 in it, followed by 1 stitch with 1 in it)

Your next round will undoubtedly be 2 stitches into 1 stitch, 1 in each of the next 2 stitches, repeat - this adds 6 so you end up with 28. (so, one stitch has 2 in it, followed by 2 stitches with 1 in it)

Hopefully you're seeing the pattern, the next round will be one stitch with 2 in it, followed by 3 stitches with 1 in it)...and so on, adding 7 each time.

Hi Granny Square

thank you for your reply. 

I was taught that when making a HTRS you; yarn over, insert into third chain from hook, yarn over, draw through the work only, yarn over and draw through all three loops. 

But in my pattern it says “insert into same stitch/in next stitch” so does that mean I don’t yarn over and insert into third chain?!? Or should I be doing (as I have been) ...yarn over and insert into the same or next?!?!

thanks

Ah, I see the confusion.

When you are working flat (back and forth, not in the round), the instruction you gave is correct.  When you turn to work back on your first row of real stitches across the foundation chain, you always skip the first chain for DC, the first 2 for HTR, and the first 3 for TR.  These skipped stitches are called the 'turning chain' - they bring you up to the height of the stitch for the new row or round.  When you reach the end of the row, you chain 1, 2 or 3 depending on the stitch, turn and commence row or round 2 across stitches, not chains.

For DC, the 1 chain does not count as a stitch.  For HTR, the 2 chains sometimes do count as a stitch and sometimes don't (it's less consistently dealt with by designers) but the pattern should tell you.  For TR, the 3 chains do count as a stitch.

But, you don't have a foundation chain when working in the round.  There are several ways to start working in the round, and some involve chains, but it's not (usually) the same as working flat.

In your case, you are putting 7 HTRS into 1 chain for the first round.  So, that round has 7 stitches in it.  Then, unlike working flat, your last stitch is adjacent to your first stitch, and you join the 2 with a slip stitch.  

Then you chain 2 for the turning chain.  In your pattern this chain 2 does not count as a stitch--you will only be stitching into other HTRs from now on.

I hope that clears it up?

Archived