Bernat Little Dreamweaver Blanket Help!!

Never_Ending07

Question

Good morning all!! I'm in need of some help. It's probably simple for most but this is my very first project and I'm desperately trying to get it finished. I'm having a problem understanding the instructions, or it's just not spelled out enough for me. Here's the link to the full patter ( https://s3.amazonaws.com/spinrite/pdf/July-2016-new/BERNAT-BABYBLANKET-C-LittleDreamWeaverBlanket.pdf ) but my issue right now only lies in the woven stripes. 

Woven Stripes: Note: Weave with the longest strand that is comfortable to avoid having a large number of ends. Thread a long strand of A through blunt-tip needle, having yarn doubled. Beg at right side edge of 2nd row, weave yarn in and out through ch-1 sps to left side edge. Rep weaving through every 4th row, using the same strand of yarn where possible and carrying yarn up side of work.

When I've weaved the yarn through, how do I secure either end so that it doesn't just start pulling out. This is a beginner pattern so I feel it should really explain this. It's done a very good job explaining just about everything else. 

Please, any and all help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated. My intent was to have this done by now to send to my 7 month old niece across the country. 

Bernat Little Dreamweaver.pdf

1 answer to this question

Well, that was a big omission.  I can think of 2 ways of handling it:

1-Since it's saying to weave with 2 stands of yarn, you could cut 2 strands 24" longer than the width to be woven, and make a tassel at each end (IMO this is the quickest and easiest solution; I'm not sure if it's OK for a baby blanket?).  24" allows 1' at each end, plus an allowance for the yarn to be shortened a bit during the weaving  ( I hope this is long enough - you might want to cut 1 set and see how it works in case you need them longer you haven't chopped up all your yarn too short).  You might cut a short piece or 2 to add to the tassel to make it thicker than 2 strands.

2-Cut yarn as above but maybe slightly shorter, and weave in the ends.  To weave in the ends, use a tapestry (large eye) needle and weave the ends as invisibly as possible thru the strands of existing stitches (not under the stitches) for a distance in 1 direction, turn and secure the thread around a loop and come back in the other direction - doesn't need to take the same path as before.  The yarn end for weaving should be at least 5-6".  Even better is to split the plies and weave the plies in opposite directions.

How not to do it - do not just crochet over the ends when you make the border, this is the least secure method and the ends will tend to back out.  It also probably won't look nice if the weaving yarn is as great a contrast as it is in the pattern pic.

edit - trying to find a decent tassel tutorial -- here's one but it's words not pictures.  Also ( I learned the hard way ) longer tassels stay secure better.  In your case, let's say the ends sticking out at each side were 10" long, and you wanted to add a strand to make the tassel thicker.  You'd want to cut the strand 20", pull it thru the fabric next to the existing ends, then wrap the ends around a hook (or your finger) as close to the fabric as you can, and pull the ends thru that loop.  When you've made all the tassels, lay the blanket with the tassels straight out and trim them even.  You really don't want them less than around 9" or so to keep them from pulling out easily.

Archived