HELP with pattern

MaureenA

Question

I have bought a new pattern for a shawl.  It starts with the following directions...

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in same st, * skip 4 sc, 9 dc in next st, skip 4 sc, sc in next st, rep from *

I can crochet, but I have always chained so many....so I am confused it says ch 1, sc in same St, then * meaning I repeat?    Any help would be appreciated, I am really feeling stupid.

thanks

Maureen

11 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Prior to rnd 1, it should say to either ch # and sc in each chain or fsc #. Fsc is foundation single crochet. It's a combination of the foundation chain and sc in one stitch. You can substitute a chain and row of sc, if it says fsc.

* is a repeat. You repeat sk 4, 9 dc, sk 4, sc until you get to the end. The last stitch is an sc.

it is from Annies Crochet . 

design says Carico

here is exactly where the pattern starts and what it says:

PATTERN STITCH

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in same st, * skip 4 sc, 9 dc in next st, skip 4 sc, sc in next st, rep from *, end skip 4 sc, 9 dc in next st, skip 4 sc, sl st in rst sc to join.

you really helped.  I'm so use to just starting at the beginning....but I read down because of your answer and found

PONCHO

Ch 160. Pm and join with a sl st in rst ch. Work in the rnd in sc for 1”. Work even in Pat St until piece measures approximately 15” from beg, end with Rnd 2.

So, I guess that is what you meant...read down!!!  So I am going to try from here...still may need help....so THANKS for helping

Archived