Help understanding pattern instructions please.

Hollylouise

Question

Hi all, 

I have been stuck on a section for the past two days. I have been trying to research it but really have no idea. Hoping someone could tell me what the pattern is instructing please. 

Body

Row 1: Ch 2 (does not count as st here and throughout), dc in first 4 (1, 4, 1, 4) sts, [dc in next 3 (4, 4, 5, 5) sts, 2 dc in next st] 12 times, dc in each remaining st across, turn—68 (74, 80, 86, 92) dc.

What does the 1, 4, 1, 4 mean and the other numbers in the brackets. 

Very confused? 

Thanks heaps 

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

It helps if you can give us the link to where you got the pattern or the name of the pattern, book/magazine, magazine date, etc.  That way we can see what you're making.  You can't post a pic of the pattern or the pattern's picture, since you don't own them.  But, you can post a pic of what you have so far.

It sounds like you're making some sort of clothing that comes in 5 sizes.  The 4 (1, 4, 1, 4) and the 3 (4, 4, 5, 5) are for the sizes.  Pick the one for the size you're making (e.g., the first number for the smallest size or the last number for the largest size.)  Ignore the rest of the numbers.  Hint: use a highlighter on every row to highlight the size you're making.  So, if you're making a medium (middle number), you'll do 4 dc, then you'll do 4 dc, 2 dc in the same stitch 12 times.  The 68 (74, 80, 86, 92) is the stitch count for each size.  Use the count for the size you're making and ignore the rest.

Good luck!

I'm glad it helped! 

Thanks for the link, but the link has to be to where you can download the pattern.  You're not allowed to link to the actual pattern, due to copyright laws.  Also, you can't link to the wayback machine (web.archive), because of potential fraud.  Please delete the link and add one to where you got the pattern, rather than the actual pattern.  Thanks!

Archived