Confused by terminology

Riascrochet

Question

Hello everyone, I'm hoping I can get some help with a pattern I'm currently working on please.

The row states: ch3 to turn, *3tr.into next 3 ch, loop, 3 ch., rept from * to last 3 ch. loop, 3 tr. into last 3 ch, loop, 1 tr. into 1 ch. turn of previous row.

I understand I'm using trebles, I understand I'm to repeat from *, I think I'm to use a treble in each of the first 3 chains, but I'm completely confuddled by the rest. Could anybody help with this please?

7 answers to this question

Would like to know what you are making and where the pattern is either online or in a bookleft etc.  

Would help to know the row before this one too as I am wondering if you have chain loops there.

HI Ria!

Sarisue is right.  Giving a link to the pattern or the name of the pattern and where you got it helps us help you better.  Knowing where you're at in the pattern helps, too.  It's okay and helpful to type out 1 or 2 rows before the confusing one.

You're actually not going to do trebles in the chains, until the end of the row.  That's incorrect.  Chains create a space, which in UK crochet terminology is called "loop."  You're going to insert your hook under the chains, in the space, to do the 3 TR stitches. 

When I get confused, I write out the steps in detail.  Like this ...

1. Chain 3 and turn.  (This is your turning chain to get you to the height of a TR.  It counts as a TR stitch.)
  2. TR, TR, TR in the space under the chain-3 that you made in the previous row.
  3. Chain 3
  4. Repeat steps 2. and 3. across, until there is only one chain-3 loop left on the previous row.
  5. TR, TR, TR in the space under the chain-3 that you made in the previous row.
  6. TR in the very last chain.

It'll look like this... ( | is a TR and o is a chain and .. is across the row)

||||ooo|||ooo|||ooo|||ooo ... |||ooo|||ooo|||ooo|||ooo||||

Note for those of us in the US: This is a UK pattern.  A UK TR is a US DC.  https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/10/british-vs-american-crochet-terms/

Ive been looking for patterns with no luck so I did some swatches with chain 3 loops and trs in the first row, and for the next row  I did 3 trs  in the first ch 3 loop then chained 3 and did 3 trs in the next  ch 3 loop and repeated across which seems to be like your pattern.

I'm actually from the uk and have never heard of a 'space' being referred to a 'loop' lol.

I'm making a matinee coat for a newborn. I'm not sure how much of the pattern I can share given the copyright??

The link to the pattern is here https://www.etsy.com/uk/transaction/1254841222

sarisue, thank you, i think I understand, so 3 trebles in the first chain then chain 3 and repeat?

Thanks also redrisesdz, that's a good way to simplify things.

I'm actually from the uk and have never heard of a 'space' being referred to a 'loop' lol.

I'm making a matinee coat for a newborn. I'm not sure how much of the pattern I can share given the copyright??

The link to the pattern is here https://www.etsy.com/uk/transaction/1254841222

sarisue, thank you, i think I understand, so 3 trebles in the first chain then chain 3 and repeat?

Thanks also redrisesdz, that's a good way to simplify things.

Ria, you can share as much of a pattern as you need to get help.  You just can't share the whole pattern.  I think in this case, you shared enough for what you wanted to know. 

By the way, your link goes to your transaction for the pattern, rather than the pattern purchase page.  What we see is "Uh oh!

There's something not quite right in the URL. Please check for any errors in the address bar and try again."

Yes I think the sp being refered to as a loop  would confuse some. You can share the rows you need help on. This time it was enough to figure out but  I like to know what the pattern is and the row before just to be sure and in case the OP needs more help later on too.

Archived