Treble crochet stitch (US)

Cesa

Question

Hi, all - picked up crocheting again after a few years of not.  I'm actually using treble crochet for the first time.  My issue with the stitch is it seems awkward to pull the yarn through the first set of two loops on the hook.  I always have to pick up the second loop and pull it over the yarn and push it off the hook. 

I haven't had to do anything like this since I first started crocheting and hadn't gotten used to the twist of the wrist necessary to get the hook under the loops.  My shawl pattern requires alternating rows of treble crochet and double crochet and several rows in, I still haven't found the right way to make the treble crochet flow off the hook.  Is this a case for additional technique needed, more practice, or everyone suffers with the same issue?

4 answers to this question

it could be that you need to practice the stitch more.  in general i find that making taller stitches---ones with more wraps of yarn around the hook---can be harder to manage.  

if you are using a slippery yarn that could make it harder.  the hooks I like best are Tulip Etimo which i find hold the yarn securely but release it easily.  or a fuzzy yarn could complicate things too.  

Thank you, ladies!  I'm hoping it's practice-related and not what I fear after watching the video.  I'm going to watch it again at home with my project in hand to see if my loops don't really looks like hers in the video.  I've always yarned over in the wrong direction.  It's never caused me problems before, though other crocheters have pointed it out to me in the past.  I may also have to try a swatch yarning-over "correctly" and see if it makes a difference.

Ah!  Yes, that would cause a problem.  Normal yarn over is when the yarn goes clockwise around the hook.  That way the hook is under and the yarn is over.  If you do it the opposite way, it's called a yarn under.  I've seen beautiful sc work with yarning under, but it would be difficult to do for a dc or taller stitch.

Archived