understanding the directions in this pattern

CJB71

Question

I have a pattern I'm working that gives the following directions and I'm just not sure how to interpret it. Whether you are increasing all the way around on each rnd.
But here is the directions.

Rnd 6: Ch2, hdc around, Inc 1 hdc in each 4th st around, join in top of beg ch-2
Rnds 7-14: Rep Rnd 6

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

I would interpret it as adding an increase every 4 stitches on each round.  The increases will keep it flat.  If you don't increase, it'll curl up, like when you're making a hat or bowl.

Since you're increasing evenly, you can choose where to start the increases.  For example, in round 6 you might do your increases in stitches 4, 8, 12, etc.  In round 7, you might do them in 2, 6, 10, etc.  If you have them on top of each other, you get corners where the increases are.  If you space them out, you'll get a smoother roundness.

I would like to know what  you are making and where the  pattern is.

I think you could just follow the pattern and increase in every 4th st. from the start of the rnd as when you are increasing in every 4th st., you aren't increasing them in the same way as when you add one st. between increases which can result in them on top of each other and give the corners.

It's against forum rules, due to copyright laws, to post an entire pattern.  I see that it's in a catalog that is no longer offered.  The pattern is from Annie's Crafts and it's called Wedding or Anniversary Cake.  I can't provide a link.

Having said that, my post above is correct.  For each round you'll do hdc, hdc, hdc, 2hdc (increase) around for rounds 6-14.

Thanks for the info on the pattern. I thought it might be something like that and is what I posted too.

I found it here.

cake

Archived