Help with Hoooked pattern

Tfer10

Question

Hey guys, I'm new to crochet. I can do basic stitches so decided to buy a pattern. But I'm struggling to understand it!

Round 2 if the pattern calls for :

*2dc in the next 5 sts* repeat from * to * (10dc)

If I do 2 dc in 5 sts, does that not equal 10dc? If so, do I need to repeat?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

so, it's an elephant stuffed animal.  Which part of it is this?

How many stitches did you have at the end of the last round?

What does round 3 say?  

Also, are you aware that there are 2 systems of stitch names in the English language?  the UK and Australia use one system and the US uses another.  It looks to me like this is in UK terms.   a UK dc is what the US system calls an sc.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

I see that your pattern is in UK crochet terminology.  Is this your first pattern?  Where are you from?  The reason I'm asking is that there is a difference between UK/Australian crochet terms and US crochet terms.  In this forum, US terms are more common.  Check out this link ...

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/10/british-vs-american-crochet-terms/

Next amigurumi patterns can be a bit different than other types of patterns.  They usually assume you've done amigurumi before.  It's important to follow the pattern exactly.  Counting every round is critical.  If you don't follow exactly and count every round, it won't come out right.

When you start an amigurumi, start with a magic ring or 2 chains.  If you start with 2 chains, make all of round 1 in the first chain.  It will expand as you add stitches.  Capture the tail as you crochet round 1.  Before you begin round 2, pull the tail taught to close the ring.  Round 2 is always an increase (2 UK DC stitches or 2 US SC stitches) in every round 1 stitch.  If round 1 was 5 stitches, round 2 will be 10. 

Most amigurumi is done in a spiral.  That means that when you finish a round, you just keep going.  A non-spiral is when you join the last stitch to the first one with a slip stitch, then chain 1 to start the next round.  It's very easy to lose track of where you're at.  To keep track, do a running stitch marker. 

• Get a piece of scrap yarn in a different color.  It should be at least 6-12" long.  (I don't know what that is in metric.)
  • Before you start round 2, lay the scrap yarn across the first stitch from round one.  Make sure that there is a short tail sticking out and the rest of it facing inward.  Capture the yarn under your first stitch of round 2.
  • Before you start round 3, flip the scrap yarn towards you.  Capture the yarn under your first stitch of round 3.
  • Before you start round 4, flip the scrap yarn away from you.  Capture the yarn under your first stitch of round 4.
  • Keep flipping the scrap yarn under the first stitch of every round.  It will start to spiral slightly as you progress.  This is normal.
  • When you're done, pull it out.

Also, every time you reach the end of a round, it is critical that you count the stitches in the round.  If your count doesn't match the stitch count in the pattern, then something is wrong.  The easiest thing to do is rip out that one round and redo it.  That usually fixes the problem.

Another useful tip is to always leave long tails.  Tails can be used for joining pieces together.  If they're not used for joining, they can be left inside as part of the stuffing.

Now for your original question.  What does round 1 and round 3 say?  From what you wrote, I'd guess that the repeating was wrong, but it's impossible to say for sure without knowing what rounds 1 and 3 say.

ETA: :waving @Kathy. 

Archived