Very stuck... over my head?

lynnjamin

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi Lynn, welcome to the ville!   You may want to review the site guidelines in the Town HAll section.  We really are not supposed to post big chunks of a pattern, or to post an image of a pattern, as doing so may violate the copyright of the pattern.  If it is free online you can provide a link to the designer's site where we can view the pattern there.  Or just tell us the name and location and we can find it.  

To figure out a pattern  it usually helps to write it out in complete words as the abbreviations can be confusing.  Also if there are photos it can be helpful to study those for stitch placement.  

I think this is the pattern?  http://www.thelavenderchair.com/daisy-fields-beach-bag-crochet-pattern

It seems to be pretty well written in terms of using a standard format, abbreviations etc.  

I think you wil have to try writing it out in complete words and see if that helps.  You might look at the comments on Ravelry, and the projects and  photos, to see what help that gives you.  Sometimes people post really clear photos that help a lot.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/daisy-fields-market-tote

It would be a lot easier to follow for me if there were a stitch symbol diagram in addition to the written parts.   i don't know if you have the free version with all the ads that i linked to there or the PDF from Craftsy or Easy, but i assume the pattern is the same either way.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

It seems like you're new to pattern reading.  The Yarn Council has an excellent guide for learning How To Read A Crochet Pattern.  When it's confusing, it helps to write it out in steps.

Like Kathy said, it's not okay to post a picture of a pattern, but it is okay to type out a couple of rows where you are stuck.  Like this ...

Rnd 9: SS into the next Chain 1 space and DC.  Chain 5 (Counts as the first DC and chain 2 space) DC in the same stitch.  Chain 5, Skip the next Puff Shell *(DC, Chain 2, DC) in the next DC stitch, Chain 5, Skip the next puff shell* Repeat from * to * around.  Join with a SS to the first DC made.

Rnd 10: SS into the next 2 chains, Chain 1, Puff in the same stitch, Chain 1, *Drop DC in the chain 1 space in the center of the puff shell from the previous round, Chain 1, (Puff, Chain 1) 4 times in the next chain 2 space* Repeat from * to * around. (V stitch with one puff remaining) [Puff, Chain 1] 3 times in the chain 2 space from the beginning of the round.  Join with a SS to the first Puff stitch made.

I'm going to write it out for you.

Rnd 9:

1. Slip Stitch into the chain 1 space.  Slip stitch into the DC.
  2. Chain 5, DC into the same stitch, which is the DC.
  3. Chain 5
  4. Skipping the puff, do a DC, chain 2, DC all in the next DC stitch.
  5. Chain 5.
  6. Keep repeating steps 4 & 5 until you get back to the beginning.
  7. Join with a slip stitch to the first DC made.  (This means that you're going to slip stitch into the 3rd chain from the chain 5 that you made in step 2.)

Rnd 10:

1. Slip stitch into the next 2 chains.
  2. Chain 1, Puff stitch, Chain 1 in the same stitch (This is in the space directly under your hook.)
  3. Drop DC in the chain space in the center of the puff shell from the previous round.  (This means that you YO, insert your hook in round 8's chain space, and finish doing a DC.)
  4. Chain 1
  5. Puff, Chain 1, Puff, Chain 1, Puff, Chain 1, Puff, Chain 1 in the next chain 2 space.
  6. Keep repeating steps 3-5 until you have 1 puff remaining.
  7. V-Stitch in the remaining puff.
  8. Puff, Chain 1, Puff, Chain 1, Puff, Chain 1 in the next chain 2 space.
  9. Join with a Slip Stitch to the puff stitch made in step 2.

The next rounds are just repeating round 9, and then round 10.

I hope this helps!

Archived