Help with a scarf that slants

Kerry Miller Cole

Question

I am having trouble with scarves. They always slant, making a rhombus instead of a rectangle. I'm not missing any stitches, or gaining any stitches.

I am left handed if that makes a difference.

I just frogged a scarf that seemed simple enough, but it kept getting more diagonal. / instead of I

It used fpdc and bpdc on alternate rows.

I have one scarf where I used a daisy stitch, and it is diagonal, too.

I'm not sure where I am going wrong. Thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the Ville!  

it would help to have more details.  if you were following a pattern, tell us the name and location of the pattern.  Or if you were winging it, tell us about the specific stitch pattern you used.   if you can post a clear photo so we can see your stitches  that would be helpful.  

were you working along the length or the width of the scarf? 

for many of us, stitches do have a bit of an offset to them, but that can be kind of cancelled out when we work in rows, because each row goes in different direction.  however im guessing for a scarf you were working in rows.  

That's a bit confusing, since the link is for the 2nd scarf that you frogged and the pic is of the daisy scarf.  :)

For the one you frogged, row 2, was your first bpdc in the 2nd dc of the previous row?  Was your last bpdc in the last dc of the previous row and your ending dc in the top of the previous row's turning chain?  (Same questions for row 3, except fpdc.)

ETA: I'm not good with the star stitch.

For the scarf in your photo, what pattern did you use?

Could you please take a photo of it showing it  with the first row at the bottom of the photo?  If we can see it in the orientation you worked it in, that will make things a lot more clear.  

this kind of stitch can be challenging to keep everything lined up.  I agree with Sharon, I am not great at it either.  

I'm not sure what if any difference being left handed would make, because I myself am right handed.  Do you hold the hook in your left hand and work from left to right?  Were there things in the patern that you had to change?  

Archived