sleeve help

mac

Question

Please bear with me as this is going to be a long post.

This is my first time making sleeves and I am having a little trouble interpreting the pattern (attached). I am making size Large (which have changes in parenthesis). I am okay to end of row 5 (39 dc at end of last row) but am confused with next step

Working in pat foll chart, * work even for 2 (1,1,1) rows, inc 1 dc at end end of next row *, rep from * to * until 53 (61,67,67) dc are on work. Work even in dc foll chart until 32 (32,34,34) rows have been completed from beg.

Work even for 2 (1,1,1) rows - to me, this means 2 rows are the same number of stitches for size sm (ie. 39, which the pattern shows) but for med, lg, and x-lg each row should be 2 stitches more (ie. 39,41, etc) but following the outline for the larger sizes on the chart also show working 2 rows with the same number of stitches. Do I follow the chart or the written pattern? 

Chart: Row 5 (39 st)

Row 6 (39 st for all sizes)

Row 7 (41 st for all sizes)

Row 8 (41 st for all sizes) and so on

Written: Row 5 (39 st)

Row 6 (41 st)

Row 7 (43 st)

Row 8 (45 st) and so on

If I follow the chart I increase stitches at the end of every 2 rows but according to the written pattern, I increase at the end of every row. Following the chart I end up with 67 stitches at row 34, but following the written pattern I have 67 stitches at row 19. 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2 answers to this question

I'm going to do my best to answer question, but first I am going to have to remove the photo you included of the pattern, as our forum policies state that members can only upload photos to which they own the copyright, which means that pattern photos cannot be uploaded.

It would be helpful if you could provide the name of the pattern and the book and the magazine issue in which it was published. If others have the magazine they'll be able to help you.

Answer:

The written pattern and the chart actually say the same thing. You follow the innermost bold line for size small, the outer bold line for all the others sizes, and starting at row 29, the middle bold line for size medium.

Working in pat foll chart, * work even for 2 (1,1,1) rows, inc 1 dc at each end of next row *, rep from * to * until 53 (61,67,67) dc are on work. Work even in dc foll chart until 32 (32,34,34) rows have been completed from beg.

You will repeat everything between the asterisks over and over again, until you have 67 stitches:

All even number rows: work even with no increases

All odd number rows: one increase on each end

For example, sizes M-XL:

Row 5: 39

Row 6: 39

Row 7: 41

Row 8: 41

Row 9: 43

Row 10: 43

For size S, you work 2 rows even followed by 1 row increase:

Row 5: 39

Row 6: 39