Gauge help needed

Wayfairers

Question

I recently learned how to crochet and I am attempting my first top. Gulf Coast Top by Lion Brand. I don't understand the gauge instructions. Help! Here are the instructions: 5 pattern reps + 11 1/2 rows = about 4 in. 20sc = about 4 in

I thiink that means the width of the 4x4 inch square should be 20sc but when I measure width in 10sc it is about 3 1/4in!! I went to a much larger crochet hook and get a similar result. And I don't understand the the height instructions at all

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

When you're testing a gauge, do more than what they say.  To get an accurate gauge, you should measure the middle of a swatch.,  So, you'll want to do at least 7 pattern repeats and 13 or 14 rows.  Then you'll measure the 20 sc across (near the middle.)  You'll also measure 11.5 rows (near the middle.)  Both should be 4 inches.

If you're getting over 3 inches with just 10 sc, then your hook is too big and/or your tension is too loose.  You want to go down in size.  Using a larger hook, you will get larger stitches.  I'd go down at least 2 hook sizes and do a swatch, if I were you.

Are you using yarn that is the same fiber and weight as the pattern?  If the pattern is using a particular brand of yarn and you're not using that brand, then you'll want to get as close to the same fiber and weight as you can.  Another thing to remember is that your tension may not be similar to the pattern designer.  That's why a gauge is so important.  You'll need the right hook size for your tension to match the pattern or the top won't fit as described.

Thanks for the help! I'm using the hook recommended and bought the yarn with the pattern in a kit so no doubt it is the same yarn. Sounds like I need to work on tension. My mother in law taught me and she makes only Afghans so never pays attention to gauge. She taught me to work with large loops and very loose tension.

What's the yarn?  Also, do you have a link to where you bought the kit?

You could practice tightening your gauge with the D hook.  The more you do the pattern, the tighter it'll will get naturally.  That's because it'll become familiar.  So, do a swatch (7 repeats, 13-15 rows).  If it's not right, take it out and try it again.  If it's still too big after a few tries, then buy a B and a C hook.  The cheap ones (Bates or Boyle) are less than $2 per hook.

I take back buying a smaller hook.  The yarn is worsted weight, cotton.  So, a D hook is already pretty small for that yarn.  If you're new, then working with a smaller hook may get you frustrated.

Try watching some videos on how to crochet.  I like Stitch Diva's videos.  They'll show you a smaller tension.  Hopefully that'll do the trick.  Good luck!!

Thanks for the help! Based on the website you shared and other articles/videos I have read/seen I think I need to start from square one. Looks like there are several things I was taught that don't work for non-Afghan projects. I need to learn the correct way to hold the yarn to improve tension control and instead of tieing a hard knot to start I need to make a slip knot.

Archived